Continuing the Curriculum, after 8 months of a paid developer

Hi, I just wanted to share a part of my life journey and a 1 year story on getting a job as developer. Because it has been a rollercoaster, and I just wanted to write it down to get it of my mind and would appreciate it to learn something from your fellow camper stories.

Coding all started for me when I was doing a part-time job and decided I could not do this all my life. I realized that coding and creating something was what I wanted to do. Found out about FCC, and started doing the curriculum. In the meanwhile I contacted a recruiter, whom I already knew from my work as an Industrial Engineer (my prior profession) and in no timw I had an interview. By this time, with a portfolio page, and some hobby projects ( Arduino ) and an internship with Drupal on my resume he told me it was only possible that he would propose me to agencies specializing in Drupal.

Exited as I was that I already could earn money as a webdeveloper, I just arrived at the Local weather app front end project, I took the opportunity, went all in at the interview. And they took me. I worked as a manic and tried to understand everything as quick as possible. It paid of, after a month they were still positive and I got a 6 months contract!

I was so excited that I succeeded, that I didn’t care to much what work it was. As long as it had to do something with webdevelopment, deployment and etc it was fine. But working there for a longer time, I found how complex a Drupal install can be. Using modules, and allot of configurations. This particularly ment that it was all in the details, and googling how things worked took all the time of my day rather than writing the code myself. The documentation was not really well, so this was enormously tiresome and sometimes I wanted to bash my head to the computer window out of frustration. :slight_smile: Now I can laugh about it, but it was sometimes really annoying, because it felt like I did not spend my time right.

Since two months exactly I finished my last day of work at this small Drupal CMS (Php) company. I started to work there in October of 2016 as a junior Drupal developer. The second term contract did not get prolonged. Partly because of economics, the pitch for a big client was lost. And also since the director doubted if I would pick up coding faster. Which
I heard was not true from a peer worker. In the months that I worked there I learned allot and tried to be the best self I could be for the company, but it failed. Besides one of the younger peers, which motivated me allot, moved to another company which was at the time being a setback for me.

In a rush I applied for a new job, and got a contract offered, but on the way back in the car, I got nervous and sort of anxious to work for a company day in day out again. It was a really strange feeling, but it felt wrong. I decided to refuse the offer and start to work as a freelancer. I have some margin to try it for 6 months. So now I am here again in the freecodecamp front end curriculum.

My goal is to make some money as a Freelancer soon too. Finish the freecodecamp certificate before December and hopefully work my way into the backend curriculum. But what is also really important for me, is to enjoy the day, sport, and feel healthy and avoid stress.

The lesson, I took from this year is that finding a job you like is perhaps an eternal continuing process and succeeding and getting happy has allot to do with the culture and the type of work you have to do.

That’s right. Pay and conditions are important. When you go for an interview you should be interviewing them as much as they interview you. You can be doing this without asking questions, but by seeing how professional they behave when you arrive, during the interview and how other people in the office/location are behaving.
Most likely this is how your working life will be if you make it there. (This advice is for people looking for a job of course)

And good luck with your attempt to be a freelancer. Best of luck!

Wow what a great experience… thank you for sharing! My longest running job of 12 years was mostly working from home or traveling so I felt pretty much ruined for a regular 9-5 office job… I did have a small stint with an office job last year though and while the commute was the worst, and the job was intense in a wierd way, the people I worked with made up for it. So I kind of know now that I’ll do just fine as long as theres great people / company culture …and no fluorescent lighting, thats a hard no for me…those things are depressing!

Anyway, indeed… the interview is as much for you as it is for them…something really put you off of this last offer, even if you cant put your finger on it… all the same, thats a great thing about the flexibility in this industry, there are so many paths to take and I hope your freelance venture takes off for you!