Contradictions in the instructions of a project wouldn't allow me to pass the test

Hi, guys! I’m having trouble with my Technical Documentation Page (HTML and CSS). I finished it and everything appears to be ok, but it wouldn’t accept my project.

IN THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN, USER STORY #4 SAYS: “EACH SECTION ELEMENT WITH THE CLASS OF MAIN-SECTION SHOULD ALSO HAVE AN ID THAT CORRESPONDS WITH THE TEXT OF EACH HEADER CONTAINED WITHIN IT. ANY SPACES SHOULD BE REPLACED WITH UNDERSCORES (E.G. THE SECTION THAT CONTAINS THE HEADER “JAVASCRIPT AND JAVA” SHOULD HAVE A CORRESPONDING ID="JAVASCRIPT_AND_JAVA" ).”

BUUUT WHEN I TRY TO UPLOAD MY PROJECT, THE ERROR MESSAGE SAYS: “EACH ELEMENT WITH THE CLASS OF “MAIN-SECTION” SHOULD ALSO HAVE AN ID COMPRISED OF THE INNERTEXT CONTAINED WITHIN IT, WITH UNDERSCORES IN PLACE OF SPACES. THE ID MAY INCLUDE SPECIAL CHARACTERS IF THERE ARE SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN THE RESPECTIVE INNERTEXT. (E.G. THE THAT CONTAINS THE HEADER, “JAVASCRIPT & JAVA”, SHOULD HAVE A CORRESPONDING ID=“JAVASCRIPT_&_JAVA”).”

I tried both ways, and it wouldn’t allow me to pass the test… I find the instructions contradict themselves!

Any help, please?

You will need to provide a link to your code so we can help. Also, it’s not contradictory because in both ways you say the id should be it instructs you to do it in the same way.

Hey there,

nice to meet you! :wave:

If you provide us with:

• a codepen with your current code
  • a clear description what you want to achieve
  • a clear description what you’ve tried so far and why it didn’t work,

it’ll be much easier to help you.

And please do NOT uppercase all your text, this is very hard to read. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, guys! Thank you very much for your answer. You’re both right, my post is lacking some things… Sorry about that; it’s my first time in the forum. I really thought it could be understood. Sorry about the capitals too (that’s because I just copied the error message from the page).
Give me some minutes, I’ll try to upload my code here.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi, I answered under this comment before. I was trying to upload my code and finally figured out how to fix it. Actually I didn’t fix it, just upload my project to freeCodeCamp page and it passed, even though it didnt’t passed in the CodePen IDE. So I don’t have that problem anymore, but I think there’s still a problem with tha IDE which needs to be fixed.

The problem was that the IDE error message said something different than the instractions in freeCodeCamp project, and it wouldn’t accept my project either way (I mean, I tried both ways). It was always the same error message.

Should I write to the admins to consider this error?

Hello, vivesmacarena.

Submitting the solution for the Responsive Web Design projects does not test your code. You are required to test it yourself with the provided test suite.

We cannot help you debug, if you do not post a link to your project.

Before submitting an issue, it is best to post your problem here, on the forum, so that others can confirm whether or not it is an actual issue with the source code. Majority of the time, it is an issue with the users code, not the test suite, nor CodePen.

Please provide us with a link to your CodePen project, if you would like assistance.

Ok, I get it. The problem isn’t finished then. It could be great if you could help me.
Sorry to ask about it, but I’m not sure how to give you the link. I have to “save” the project before copying the link, right? How do I save it?

Right. So, the workflow should be:

1. Open the boilerplate link provided on the Project page on fCC
  2. Fork the project in CodePen, by clicking on the button in the bottom-right that says Fork
  3. This will open up a project of your own with the code, which you should click on the Save button in the nav bar before copying the link in the browser link box, and sharing with us.

Hope this is clear.

Great! Yeah, very clear!
So here it is the link: https://codepen.io/maquivives/pen/wvGWVgv

There you’ll find I used the id=“JavaScript_&_Java” (as the error message says, but it doesn’t work). Before that I had used the id=“JavaScript_and_Java” (as in the instructions, but didn’t work anyways).

You’ll see also that there are two errors in my code: this one and a link in the navbar which is broken, but that error doesn’t bother me because it’s caused by this error (since the code doesn’t recognize my id this time, it broke my link… but it did work before, so I guess that when I fix the other error, this one will disappear).

Thanks in advance!

Thank you, for linking your project.

Some things to note:

• The error messages are usually very helpful:

Some “main-section” elements are missing the following ids (don’t forget to replace spaces with underscores!) : IF…ELSE_STATEMENT : expected 1 to equal 0

In your case, you have if_else_statement in the href and id attributes, but if...else statement in the innerText of the a element. Remember, programming is usually very particular. So, any deviation will cause unexpected results.

Some things to note when using CodePen:

1. CodePen does not expect any content outside the body tags.
  2. All meta, link, and script information must be put in the :gear: settings section of the HTML editor.
  3. You do not need to/cannot link the CSS in your HTML, if you place the CSS in the appropriate section.
  4. If your project uses React, use the Babel preprocessor, and link the CDN in the appropriate :gear: section.
  5. The editors offer the ability to format and analyze your code, providing useful information about forgotten closing tags etc.

If you are still confused with how to use CodePen, please read the official documentation.

Hope this helps