Control flow dictionaries

Hi friends, I am taking the 12 hour course of Python for Data Science of FreeCodeCamp in Youtube (Python for Data Science - Course for Beginners (Learn Python, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib) - YouTube) and I have a doubt:

I have the next syntaxis of code:

Sin título

Which gives this result:

apple 44
cherry game

And what happens is that I don’t understand what the code refers to “for x in D”. I understand that D refers to the dictionary, but what does “for x” refer to? What is x in that dictionary? I tried to change “for x” to “for z” and it gives me the following result:

cherry game
cherry game

So what do those variables refer to in that dictionary?

Also why the professor types print(x, D) instead of just print(x)?

Thanks.

x is just a variable name that represents the Dictionary keys that are iterated over. You could name the variable anything. Typically, you should name it what the variable represents. I would name the variable key because that is what it is.

You will need to post your actual code to show us how you produced the above output, because only changing the variable to z would not do this.

Thanks Randel,

This is the code with “for z”:

Sin título 3

There must be code above the 1st line shown because if that is the only code, then it would error out as x is not defined anywhere

I assume the following line is above the code you posted:

x = "cherry"

No, that’s the only code I have. It’s a new notebook in Jupyter.

Also, I would like to ask you why do the professor types Sin título 2 instead of just print(x).

Thanks.

Printing just x would just print the Dictionary keys like:

"apple"
"cherry"

I would have to see the notebook.

This is a full screenshot of the notebook:

Like I said, there had to be some code above the other code you posted. In the first for in loop, the last value of x is “cherry” which is why you get:

cherry game
cherry game

printed. The second for in loop just prints x and D[x] twice.

Randel, thanks for your help.

I have another question.

In this code, what is the value of “i” and “s”. I didn’t define them before, so what are they?

Sin título

Thanks.

The s = 0 is defining s and initializing its value to 0.

The i gets defined when it is written in the for in range.

They are just variables. I assume the s starts a zero so the line:

s = s + args[i]

can work. In the end, it just represents a sum, though the return statement is not indented correctly to achieve the sum of all the arguments passed to the function.

So the value of S is zero, but what is the value of i after for in range is coded? What is the range there? Between which numbers?

Thanks.

You should probably take a beginners course in Python before trying to learn Python for Data Science. Do some research on the range method and you learn what the first value of i is in a for i in range loop.