Copy with JS. Formatting for newlines. Stumped StackOverflow

So I have created a node.js app that generates meta tags…like the annoying ones for social media. i have videos showing it working Video Showing How it Works. Anyhow. I wanted to add a copy button like you see everywhere. I got it working with a little JQuery script.

var $copyButton = $('#meta-copy');

function copyToClipboard(){
        var $results = $('#meta-results');

console.log($results[0].innerText)

var $temp = $('<input>');
        $('body').append($temp);
        $temp.val($results[0].innerText).select();
        document.execCommand("copy");
        $temp.remove();
        }
        $copyButton.click(copyToClipboard)

I have tried many iterations of this. When the console.log shows up everything is formatted correctly.
The problem is not matter what i do I cannot get newlines after each tag when I paste. When I paste with my button it is one continuous line. I have tried splitting on (><) and joining with(>\n,etc<) When i use native copy and paste it includes the formatting. What gives?

MDN REFERENCE
Range
Range.selectNode()
window.getSelection()
document.execCommand()

Can you give us an example of what the output looks like?

I have learned the hard way that newline (\n) is a major disappointment and doesn’t work in many situations. I have used misc workarounds like for example when I have a string template I’ll add <br />

59 PM

you see my console.log is formatted…
but output is literally this one line(i didnt fill out my actual form so some are blank):

<meta charset="utf-8" /><meta name="viewport content" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" /><title>""</title><meta name="author" content="Benjamin Brooke" /><meta name="description" content="" /><meta property="og:url" content="" /><meta property="og:type" content="website" /><meta property="og:title" content="" /><meta property="og:description" content="" /><meta property="og:image" content="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/benjaminadk/ben@gmail.com/looselady (1).jpeg" /><meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image" /><meta name="twitter:creator" content="" /><meta name="twitter:title" content="" /><meta name="twitter:description" content="" /><meta name="twitter:image" content="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/benjaminadk/ben@gmail.com/looselady (1).jpeg" />

also tried split('><').join(>
<) and a slew of regular expressions and joins using <br/> \n &carr; striking out every time

hahaha br in string literal works here! but not in my script with copy!
i know it is a small detail but, these copy buttons are all over the place and they work, i maybe my entire approach is not right? idk. its a cool feature to have for any site that allows you to copy code. not needed ofcourse but cool non the less

yes the <br/> works great for displaying the html view of the tags. like in the pic i posted. and when i manually highlight copy and paste that it is fine. and even my value i console.log after hitting the button looks right. somehow in the select and copy process the formatting disappears this is such a little thing, and I cannot figure it out, these types of things are what drive me crazy in coding.

It seems you want a simple copy of some part of the page - you create a temporary <input> for copying the content then select it - this is unnecessary - you can directly copy any part of the page to the clipboard

here’s some meta tags like yours

<button id=copy type=button>Copy</button>
<p>
&lt;meta charset=utf-8><br>
&lt;meta name=viewport content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"><br>
&lt;meta property=og:type content=website><br>
&lt;meta name=twitter:card content=summary_large_image>
</p>

here’s the code to copy the contents of the <p> tag

copy.addEventListener("click", e=>{
  const p=e.target.nextElementSibling
  const r=document.createRange()
  r.selectNode(p)
  window.getSelection().addRange(r)
  document.execCommand("copy")
})

here’s the pasted text

<meta charset=utf-8>
<meta name=viewport content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<meta property=og:type content=website>
<meta name=twitter:card content=summary_large_image>

btw it helps if you provide all your code together in the post - it was a little hard to figure out what’s going on from the scattered snippets, images and video

3 Likes

awesome! it works. thanks for the help. this was my first try using document.execCommand("copy"). i had no idea where to start with this stuff so i was just going off that jquery script, which i found randomly on codepen. i am going to be looking into createRange , selectNode, etc since I had never heard of them until now.

i won’t be so hesitant to just lay out all the code up front in the future, i started here like 3 months ago so i pretty much a newb in most things coding. i guess the more info on a specific problem the better. thanks again, i probably spent 4hrs tinkering with this stupid button.

Since you’re inserting information dynamically, you may also consider storing your string as a template literal on the server side. You can use placeholders for the variable parts and it preserves line breaks.

function createTags(title, author, description) {
    return `<meta charset="utf-8" />
			<meta name="viewport content" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
			<title>${title}</title>
			<meta name="author" content="${author}" />
			<meta name="description" content="${description}" />
			<meta property="og:url" content="" />
			<meta property="og:type" content="website" />
			<meta property="og:title" content="${title}" />
			<meta property="og:description" content="${description}" />
			<meta property="og:image" content="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/benjaminadk/ben@gmail.com/looselady (1).jpeg" />
			<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image" />
			<meta name="twitter:creator" content="" />
			<meta name="twitter:title" content="" />
			<meta name="twitter:description" content="" />
			<meta name="twitter:image" content="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/benjaminadk/ben@gmail.com/looselady (1).jpeg" />`
}

I’m not sure if that will keep the line breaks by the time it’s reached the client, but you can change this to fit ppc’s solution as well.

cool. this is an interesting idea, i think i would have had the same issue with my original jquery code though. i think u are saying this would be the actual piece of data i send to the template/client vs just sending the dynamic stuff to a conditional statement. doing the latter, i went haywire with spans and classes, so, getting my output to have that syntax highlighted look. i’m not sure i could do that this way. javascript is so crazy, most def a case of the more i know the less i’m sure of. right now im working on configuring a react setup with webpack from scratch…needless to say, i feel more HELP posts in my future. thanks for the reply.