Copying my code

Hi
I am a screenreader user, so I’m not sure if the “help button” is visible to other users apart from me. It used to be visible to me.
So I’m still stuck on step 15, and when I asked last time about the code I typed in, the moderator told me to use the help button so that members could see my code instead of me trying to copy and paste it from the code editor.
I suddenly can’t find the help button, and I’m unfortunately still stuck on step 15, can you explain to me how do I show my typed code to the forum to get help? I just really can’t get past this step.
Thanks
Ari

FYI @bbsmooth

Hi Ari,

Sorry you are unable to find the button. It was changed to a button with a question mark on it. (Not sure if that will help you tab around to find it)

In general though you can include your code on the forum with the use of the “pre formatted text” tool (included in the forum post editor menu) or by adding a line above and below the code with three backticks.

Similar to this

Code in the middle of the top and bottom line of backticks

Let me know if you need further clarification on this.

No, please take it up with the developers. I tab around and the button with the question mark isn’t visible to screenreaders at all. I’ve tried with two screenreaders, I’m not finding a button like that.
I’ll try post my code in this forum under a new topic, but please take this up with FCC because this button is not vissible at all.
Thanks

I have pinged the FCC accessibility expert in the previous post. I believe he may be aware of this but just in case, he may want to read your post additionally.

You can also open an issue for fCC improvement by following the instructions below:

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks for letting us know that this bug was introduced. Screen reader support is important for the curriculum.

Hi @Ari2. I don’t think I have enough information at this point to give a perfect answer so I’m just going to throw out a few things to begin and then you can reply if none of this helps.

The help button is placed just after the “Reset all code” button. Both of them are just after the editor. The help button is not there initially though. It only shows up after you check your code at least a few times. Some steps may only require a few checks while others may require several more. If this is step 15 for the Building a Cat Photo App then you will need to click the “Check Your Code” button three times before the help button shows up. Also, the accessible name on the button you will hear is “Get Help”.

Another potential issue is that the editor automatically traps the tab key by default so that you can’t tab out of the editor. You can disable this behavior by using the hotkey combination Control + m on Windows (or Control + Shift + m on macs). Currently, this setting is not permanent and it may go back to the default behavior when you load a new step. I do have a pull request submitted to fix this but it hasn’t been approved yet.

If none of what I said above helps you then can you give me more details about what you are trying to do to access the help button. Also, please let me know what OS and browser and screen reader you are using.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.