Could I get a job as a web developer in a foreign country with only Free Code Camp?

Hi @ChrisLewis!

That previous comment has been removed and the poster has been dealt with.

Happy coding!

Ah, okay. Sorry.

Should I delete my own?

If you want to that’s fine.

It’s up to you.

1 Like

Hello!

Finally, after a long time, I have found the answer I was looking for. A realistic answer according to my possibilities given my socioeconomic and health context.

After asking many people (special thanks to Kevin for his help), this is finally my conclusion:

Is possible for me to work outside Spain without submitting to precariousness and/or the gig economy?

Surprisingly, it is possible. My level of English is good enough, and I have the potential to study and build successfully since I did exactly that years ago. I have a lot of free time. I can dedicate to this +12 hours per day. Certainly, I believe I am able to be a programmer. I also love programming, albeit not to the point to make it my lifestyle or living to work. But I love it after all. Is my hobby and who knows for how many time. I can also pretend to study all this without the intention of looking for work, there is the RaceSimulations project (a webpage about sim-racing, I would like to build that webpage from scratch and bring back Racesimulations to life). The potential, the basis, are there. And FreeCodeCamp is a wonderful community.

On the other hand, the sacrifices are incredibly huge. Is not about working extremely hard (that itself is not a problem for me) but instead, I have to risk and repeat the exact same path that led me to failure. That path is studying self-taught for years while working for free or for a freelance for a long time, giving also time to building a portfolio, side projects, keeping my GitHub updated, and so on. Since I am a frustrated programmer, I have the experience of doing all that… for just being unemployed for reasons beyond my control. I’ll depend on external factors all the time and in many cases, I do not have the necessary tools to overcome them. These are huge problems that hinder my life quality. What’s evem worse, is that even if I submit to the most precarious of jobs many times (like paying to work) does not guarantee me to overcome them and become a junior programmer, while my main priority is to get rid of precariousness from the start, working abroad. That first work will be probably very precarious and your advancement guarantees depend in large part on your economy and mobility. If I don’t accept, then probably I will be unemployed, just like in the past.

The probability of getting the job I want is extremely low, AND there are huge probabilities of being unemployed if I reject working in the gig economy or for free to others. Getting an idea of ​​my possibilities is not useless. It lets me know if it is worth it and if I should invest a large amount of time in my life that allows me to get money and a future to do the things that really motivate me. I studied programming the hard way, anyone can appreciate it above. But I didn’t get a job for (again) reasons beyond my control. Welcome to a case of failure that you surely do not want to see, despise or just look over your shoulder. Speaking of this with indifference and no fear, and with a clear conscience giving my real name is perhaps my victory in this.

I cannot have a healthy kidney that makes me impossible to travel in these times. I can’t choose to get rid of autism, which is a problem for socializing.

I appreciate everyone’s transparency, including those of people in other places who have offered me abusive conditions. They make me see that in my circumstances and with my convictions,

Giving my circumstances, if my best chance is going into those positions I wanted to run away from in the past, I conclude that it is not worth trying to become a programmer again. This time, I will not waste my time. I have got the experience and information on hand.

In the past, I didn’t invest six months to see if it was worth it. I invested for more than two years. I enjoyed the path of learning, but when I wanted to work I only saw the desert. I just wanted to work as an employee with a minimum wage and 40 hours per week.

So… moving on for me. I will keep programming as a hobby.

You can close this topic. I have already found the answer and have valued my personal conclusion.

If I come back again someday, it will be for the Racesimulations project webpage. The pretensions of working as a developer will be zero. That project will be exclusively for personal interests. Once I finish it, I will not touch web development again. While that project lasts, I will help here in whatever way I can, and it will be a pleasure.

Time to go back to the oppositions. And learn to overcome failures, in case they come. Because that’s the fear that has blocked me and made me wonder if I could go back to programming. I must learn to be less coward.

Regards.

Cristian.