count--;

break;

}

if (count > 0) {

return count + "Bet";

} else {

return count + "Hold";

}
i tried this and  other some else if statements i dont know what im doing wrong. feeling a little bit lost here

What do the failing tests say? I suspect that you, at the very least, a missing a extra " " space in your return strings.

State should never be outside the function. Just remember it forever it will apply to everything you will learn in the future!

Try putting count inside the function

it fails all the returns and
Cards Sequence 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 should return

5 Bet

Cards Sequence 7, 8, 9 should return

0 Hold

Cards Sequence 10, J, Q, K, A should return

-5 Hold

Cards Sequence 3, 7, Q, 8, A should return

-1 Hold

Cards Sequence 2, J, 9, 2, 7 should return

1 Bet

Cards Sequence 2, 2, 10 should return

1 Bet

Cards Sequence 3, 2, A, 10, K should return

-1 Hold

// tests completed

I suspect that you will be able to see the problem if you add a console log after a sample card sequence, like this:

cc(2); cc(3); cc(7); cc('K'); console.log(cc('A'));

You need to add some space in your output to get it to display correctly.

that part is in the “do not change” section. im telling you im really stumped on this one

To tie in to @JeremyLT`s solution, I’ve done the console.log for you. The result your function returns is shown at the bottom. How does it differ from the expected return?

1 Like

In this case, it is ok to change it, and it will show you what’s wrong.

Just a small typo. Try: count + ’ Bet’ with the whitespace (and same for ‘Hold’)

1 Like

that’s how the challenge is. any suggestions on how to change it?

Count should be outside the function - otherwise it resets to 0 every time the function gets called, which ruins the point of having a card-counting function… :slight_smile:

Sure, given the purpose of the challenge is to learn switch statement, I would just test one function at the time. Testing the “chain” here doesn’t affect the testing in any way and doesn’t give any valuable insights for the switch.

do you want to suggest it on github?