Course suggestion

Course suggestion
0.0 0

Perhaps it’s a little forward to be making suggestions… Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed fCC and have learned a lot and very grateful to have such an awesome resource and for free. So, this suggestions is made in the most humble fashion.

I might suggest having some “smaller” certificates with a more narrow scope. First of all, that would make it easier to adjust and update them. But also, it might make it easier for the camper to focuss on just one thing. Just work on React. Just work on Angular. Just work on SASS.

Another suggestion is to fit some smaller certificates on industry specific topics. I keep hearing phrases like “mobile first” and “cross platform compatibility” in job postings. Those might by good topics for which it might be good to have a specific certificate.

Just some thoughts.

But thanks for the knowledge. It’s been fun and informative. And I love that it’s such a great group of guys - I’m amazed to find no trolls and everyone is so helpful.

Not at all. This is a open source community and it’s shaped by the needs and goals of the students as well as by the vision of the core team.

[quote=“ksjazzguitar, post:1, topic:102251, full:true”]
I might suggest having some “smaller” certificates with a more narrow scope. First of all, that would make it easier to adjust and update them. But also, it might make it easier for the camper to focuss on just one thing. Just work on React. Just work on Angular. Just work on SASS.[/quote]

I believe that the decision has actually been made to go the other direction and remove some of the smaller, intermediate certificates. My understanding is that the intention of Free Code Camp was always for students to complete the full curriculum, but when students hit a certificate point they thought that they were done with a particular path. People get to the Front End Certificate and think “I must be ready for a job as a front end developer,” and become disappointed or frustrated. I think the goal is to make the certificates more meaningful. This should both give FCC students a better grasp on the pedagogy, but also potentially make the certificates more meaningful as resume points.

[quote=“ksjazzguitar, post:1, topic:102251, full:true”]
Another suggestion is to fit some smaller certificates on industry specific topics. I keep hearing phrases like “mobile first” and “cross platform compatibility” in job postings. Those might by good topics for which it might be good to have a specific certificate.[/quote]
I can’t speak for FCC, but I am personally disinclined to cater to recruiter keywords. A lot of these are buzzwords, vague concepts, or refer to broad approaches. If you design your applications with the assumption that it will be primarily accessed by mobile devices, you’re “practicing a mobile first paradigm”. Et cetera. Chasing after terms that could come from a tech bullshit generator, may be a necessary evil of job hunting, but I don’t think it’s a stable educational strategy.

(Please remember that I speak only for myself and not for the FCC core team or any other official entity.)