Create complex multi-dimensional arrays

“level1”,
[“level2”]
[“level2”,[“level3”]]
[“level2”, [[“level3”], “deep”]]
[“level2”, [[[“level3”], “level4”],“deeper”]]
[“level2”, [[[[“level3”], “level4”], “deeper”], “deepest”]]

I feel so sad, I know I have to do something like this but nothing’s working and I get silly errors(as far as I can tell at least) that say I don’t have only numbers, booleans and strings.
But all I have is strings… even if turn one of the strings into a number and another into a bool the same issue…
Of course, the other tests are also wrong but I just don’t get it, how are we counting the levels, is it not with the number of indexes needed?
That’s just sad and it is not the first occasion that I do not understand something.
I think the site overall needs much, much better instructions.
It also needs more repetition so that gradually we get used to things.
So frustrating… I am just going to have to copy-paste the solution and I looked at it and it’s just wrong to my eyes… But regardless, shouldn’t I be able to do it?
That’s just sad :cry:

Don’t feel sad. This is hard stuff. That’s why it pays well. Everyone has things with which they struggle - I know I did/do.

Is this part of an FCC challenge? Maybe we can help you understand it?

I believe it is this one

1 Like

Try watching the CS50X lecture here start at 01:42 time stamp.
It is using a different language (C) but it may help you understand loops.

@impossible If you want some help please show exactly the current state of your code. Of the top of my head, I see that you are missing some commas at the ends of the lines. You also have “deeper” twice - you’re only supposed to have it once. You’re also a little off on your levels:

[“level2”,[“level3”]]
[“level2”, [[“level3”], “deep”]]

Notice on these two lines that “level3” is on different level in each - there is an extra set of brackets in the second. The first one is right.

This can be confusing. It’s a bit of a brain teaser of a problem. It’s intentionally a little confusing.

1 Like

let myNestedArray = [
// Only change code below this line
[‘unshift’, false, 1, 2, 3, ‘complex’, ‘nested’],
[‘loop’, [‘deep’, 6, 7, 1000, ‘method’]],
[‘concat’, [false, [true, ‘deeper’, ‘array’]]],
[‘mutate’,[ 1327.98,[‘splice’,[ true, ‘deepest’, ‘push’]]]],
[‘iterate’, 1.3849, 7, ‘8.4876’, ‘arbitrary’, ‘depth’]
// Only change code above this line
];

I am not sure why, but trying it again worked…(above is what I tried and worked)
It was only slightly tricky, as I was expecting it would have been the first time.
I certainly didn’t improve anything from the first time, my understanding of it has stayed the same…