CS minor, bootcamp or self-teach route

Hi,

I am a recent graduate with a minor in computer science and with a major related to the tech field. I also got into a top coding bootcamp in the U.S. With that in mind, I want to start a career in web development and was wondering what would be the best approach?

2 Likes

If you have a tech background, your weakest point probably would be coding practice. So you should get as much of it on daily basis as possible.

I think it’s much easier to discipline yourself in a bootcamp then to study on your own. So I think the bootcamp is a good option.

The question is if you can afford to pay to go to the boot camp. Self teaching is much less expensive.

Are you not able to leverage a tech job with your degree?

The details are somewhat vague, so it’s difficult to give you concrete suggestions.

It essentially depends on what you’ve done and learned. Do you have any internship experience? What is your level of understanding in web development? Has your school’s career service yield any result? Has your personal job search yield any result? Is this something you can do without attending a bootcamp?

CS minor curriculum can vary greatly from school to school. The assumption is that at the very least, you have algorithms and data structure foundation, presumable python/C++/Java syntax familiarity, and some higher-level math. Whether that’s enough to convince some companies to hire you on as junior devs is debatable, but it should at least convince them to evaluate your technical abilities.

Bootcamps are essentially 4-6 month crash course that cost a similar amount to a year of university(depends on the university). The contents taught are actually not totally remarkable. They are often materials you can gather yourself with some legwork. Some bootcamps are industry sensitive, and evolve their coursework based on company needs. The truly valuable thing is the structure and the camaraderie. If you are the type of person that achieves more with structure and collaborate with others, then it is something you can consider.

Make sure to do your research on the bootcamp. Cost, graduation and job placement rate, and industry connections. Some bootcamps do not do career assistance, some have forged connections with companies. Payment structure also differs. Make sure you do your research and ask questions up front if you are considering bootcamp