CSS Class inheritance

Is there a way to have a CSS class inherit from another class in the CSS itself?

Example: I want .img-1 to inherit everything from .img without having to put both .img and .img-1 in the element class of the HTML code

.img { 
stuff: value;
}
.img-1 {
more stuff: value;
}

This sounds like the kind of inheritance in Object-Oriented programming, if I understand you correctly. In CSS a child can inherit from a parent and sometimes farther back just like in a family tree. However sometimes you may have to specify inherit: mostly it just happens. For example:

body {
background-color: white;
color: black;
}

can set that style throughout the document. Unless it is overwritten later for a particular section. Images are just “inline” elements like span and don’t have a parent-child relationship.

Yeah, that’s basically what I’m trying to do. I was hoping to be able to specify something in the CSS code similar to this:

.img1 {
   .img;
   stuff: value;
   }

^ not real code, but I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish that.

In the fake code you posted is .img1 a parent of .img? Using something like SASS/SCSS you can do nesting.

In the fake code, .img is the parent, and .img1 would be inheriting from it.

No, it would have to be the other way.

There are some rules for inheritance, but broadly speaking the children element will inherit from the parent element.

And then using a CSS Preprocessor like SCSS you can do nesting. There are also functions and mixin/include which lets you bring in functionality/CSS you can then use in other style blocks.