CSS not applied properly to list elements created by JS

Hi all, I just started learning JavaScript earlier this week and I wanted to apply some of the things I’ve learned by creating a calendar based from this tutorial and applying some functionality to it.

However, I am having an issue where unordered list items are not being displayed properly when created by JavaScript. If I manually enter the list items in the HTML the list items appear as they should. The list items in question are the days of the month.

Here is what the calendar should look like -

In the above screenshot I manually entered the days 1-31 in an unordered list just as the tutorial does. Notice the day numbers line up perfectly with the days of the week.

Here is what my calendar looks like when the list items are generated by a JavaScript loop -
(New users are only allowed one image? See my reply for this image… I guess).

In the above screenshot the days are not lined up properly.

I would like to generate the days using JavaScript so that when a user selects a month at the top, the correct amount of days for that month are created and appended to the list. Below are the pieces of code I’ve written to test this functionality.

HTML

<ul class="weekdays">
  		<li>Su</li>
  		<li>Mo</li>
  		<li>Tu</li>
  		<li>We</li>
  		<li>Th</li>
  		<li>Fr</li>
  		<li>Sa</li>
  	</ul>

<ul class="days" id="listDays"></ul>

<script src="script.js"></script>

CSS

.weekdays {
	margin: 0px;
	padding: 10px 0;
	background-color: #ddd;
}
.weekdays li {
	display: inline-block;
	width: 13.6%;
	text-align: center;
	color: #666;
}
.days {
	background-color: #eee;
}
.days li {
	width: 13.6%;
	margin-bottom: 5px;
	font-size: 12px;
	color: #777;
}

JavaScript

let monthLength = 31;
let listDays = document.getElementById('listDays');

for (var i = 1; i <= monthLength; i++) {
	let listItem = document.createElement('li');
	listItem.textContent = i;
	listDays.appendChild(listItem);
}

I still have a lot of code to write but for now I created a variable named monthLength and gave it a value of 31 days for testing purposes. Please help :frowning_face:

(Here is the 2nd image I couldn’t post)

Update

This morning I took a closer look at the calendar using Developer Tools Inspector and found small margins being generated between my inline-blocks when typing out the list items manually. However, when the list items are generated by JavaScript there is no margin between list items. The margins vary in width from 5.63333px - 5.63336px. See screenshot below -

I’m going to attempt the fix the problem later today by eliminating the inline-block margins altogether and adjusting my width values to compensate.

Though I still don’t understand why this is happening. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated so I can avoid this strange issue in the future. I will update again once I make my changes.

It might have to do with display being inline-blocks. They automatically create little bit of horizontal margins.

If that’s the case, there are few hacky fixes you can search.
Other option is using flexbox, but it might not work well in this scenario.

You’re right, I found a CSS hack to fix it.

I set letter-spacing to -1em in the parent class (ul) and set it back to normal inside the lists -

.weekdays {
	background-color: #ddd;
	letter-spacing: -1em;
}
.weekdays li {
	width: 100px;
	color: #666;
	letter-spacing: normal;
}

That got rid of the white space between blocks, and everything matches up perfectly now. Thanks!