Data Analysis with Python - Extra plotting lectures?

Hello there.
I’m currently going through the Data Analysis with Python course here in freecodecamp, I’m precisely doing the Medical Data Visualizer project.
In this project, you are instructed to create two different graphs to visualize some medical data, as the name suggests, using matplotlib and seaborn, although the latter wasn’t taught in the previous lectures (Which btw, why?) and the former was also passed by quickly (The most in-depth piece of information about plotting I could find was in this notebook, and that notebook itself also wasn’t covered by the lectures but skipped over).
I just wanted to know what good resources on the topic you could recommend, or to see if I’m missing something, because looking around the forums, it seems like people are proceeding with the course more or less without a problem.

I just feel frustrated with the organization of this course. Why is the introduction to python at the end of the first “module”? Why do we talk about numpy in 2 separate instances? Why are there 3 final projects about plotting if it wasn’t covered previously in the videos?
I don’t want to sound like an entitled brat, in this course I’ve learnt a lot, but it still feels wrong to get at the end of it and encounter this extra hustle to deal with.
Sorry for the rant.

It’s a bit counter intuitive, but technically that is what programming is about: Finding solutions, more so than writing code itself.

The lessons don’t cover everything you need to know to pass those challenges, because you are meant to further search and research the topic.
In the end, one point of the page is to give you a certificate to show you know how to program. And in a programming job, that includes A LOT of researching code and modules and testing stuff.

You will often find yourself in a position where you face a task you don’t know the solution for in code. Where you will feel like under prepared, lacking knowledge and in need of overcoming that gap in knowledge. That’s what the challenges are about - because the most important skill of a programmer is not merely writing code, but finding code. And that is something a video can’t teach you.

This might be frustrating, because I don’t think it is stated anywhere outright. But it’s something a friend of me who already is a programmer basically said when I complaint about constantly googling code - that’s exactly what he does more often than not.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. I will finish the course, and to do that I’ll have to overcome this challenge. I’m not going to run away. It’s just a bit frustrating.
And also, the feeling of this course being disorganized I believe still holds. At least, I don’t believe it has been arranged this way to promote independent learning, though it may be an unexpected extra.

For future reference, in the matplotlib tutorial side of things, I was thinking on looking into:

And for seaborn

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, the current pure-video-format is not the final way the course should look. It’s more supposed to be like the step-by-step with built in coding-base as it is with Javascript. But that is still in development, hence the current format.

So if this is any help, it’s indeed lacking right now and folks are aware and working. But this will take time and so the video-format is a stand-in for the time being.

1 Like

Thank you, this helps a lot.
Now I know this is something to be addressed, and that it’ll get better. I’d love to see how this course works as a “step-by-step with built in coding-base”, it sounds fun.