Data Analysis with Python Projects - Page View Time Series Visualizer - Stuck on Month Sorting

Tell us what’s happening:
Like many others taking this course, my code is failing because the months in the DataFrame are sorted alphabetically.

I can’t find any solution to this problem that wouldn’t involve just deleting all my code and copying someone else’s, so I want you to review my code and help me sort the months in my dataframe.

Your code so far

# Copy and modify data for monthly bar plot
df_bar = df.copy()
df_bar.reset_index(inplace=True)

df_bar['year'] = [d.year for d in df_bar.date]
df_bar['month'] = [d.stftime('%b') for d in df_bar.date]

# Create monthly average plot
df_avg_bar = pd.DataFrame(df_bar.groupby(['year', 'month'])['value'].mean().round(decimals = 2))
df_avg_bar.reset_index(inplace = True)

# Draw bar plot
fig, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(10, 15))
sns.barplot(data = df_avg_bar, x = 'year', y = 'value', hue = 'month')
plt.xlabel('Years')
plt.ylabel('Average Page Views')
plt.legend(loc='upper left')

I’ve also considered avoiding changing the month to a string until after creating the new dataframe by replacing d.stftime('%b') with d.month and then coming up with a way to remap the month names to the column, but it seems like Pandas doesn’t want you to modify the values in the dataframe.

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/118.0

Challenge: Data Analysis with Python Projects - Page View Time Series Visualizer

Link to the challenge:

1 Like

This is the way.

My post must be at least 20 characters, this is filler.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.