Defining a property using a method inside an object

I already know the answer (the lower most code snippet), but I’m struggling to understand why my logic fails using checkIsland(). Here’s my code:

const myCountry = {
  capital: "Mexico City",
  language: "Spanish",
  population: 120,
  neighbours: ["United States", "Guatemala", "Belize"],
  describe() {
    console.log(
      `${this.country} has ${this.population} million ${this.language}-speaking people, ${this.neighbours.length} neighouting countries and a capital city called ${this.capital}`
    );
  },
  checkIsland() {
    this.neighbours.length === 0 // if myCountry's neighbour array is empty
      ? this.isIsland = true // create a new property called isIsland(), and set it to true
      : this.isIsland = false; //if not, create a new property called isIsland(), and set it to false
  };
};

The correct code is this:
checkIsland () { this.isIsland = this.neighbours.length === 0 ? true : false;

1 Like

This code isn’t doing anything with the true or false. It doesn’t return it or assign it to a variable.

My bad, change the === to =. I just changed it but still not working. Is there another issue?

The only issue I see is that you have a semicolon that you shouldn’t on the second-to-last line. Once I remove that it works fine.
see it working on repl.it here
Stylistically, it isn’t the way you want to do it, but it works.

EDITED to fix link

A ternary’s job is to return a value which can be assigned to a variable. Assigning a value to a variable inside the ternary is not best practices and will often fail. So, the reassignment must be declared first, followed by the condition, then finally the value… IE let x = true === true ? “It’s true!” : “It’s false!”.

2 Likes

Definitely true, didn’t think of that. But the tutorial asked me to set a property (called isIsland) using a method.

You might also use coercion, as 0 is a falsy value.

Edit: I reversed the logic, too tired I guess and it was already shown so I guess my post is a bit pointless.

checkIsland() {
  this.isIsland = !Boolean(this.neighbours.length);

// or using ! if you like that better
  // this.isIsland = !this.neighbours.length;
}

i tried if and else,it worked but you don’t need to use ternary operators.
just return the length of that property to see the populetion.