Development advice for a Front-End Developer

Hello , guys i need from little help/advice . Four months ago I started positioning Junior Front-end Developer , without to have mentor or someone to give me code review, feedback or guidelines. The company consists of three employees - Copywriter, Back-end Developer and Designer. Many times I lose my direction, I can not understand at what level I am currently as a programmer, do I have progress… When i ask something they give me advice to check documentations on internet. In parallel with my work, I started freecodecamp front-end course and this help me a lot. At this moment i’ am nearly close to Front-end Certificate…

I have so far five real projects, on two of them I have written front-end and back-end , the other three I have written only the front-end part.

What would you give me as advice, how to proceed ?

What a strange sort of predicament you are in!

Presumably someone employed you off the back of an interview? It sounds as you have a lot of pressure for a junior dev seeing as you are the only Front-End guy in the company. Maybe speak to your employer and state your concerns?

In terms of improving, I think working on your own mini-projects is surely one of the best ways of improving skills that you may already have. Keep working through the courses, and set yourself targets and goals :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did not have an interview when I was a freelancer they sent me a project I had to do and after the end they invited me to work with them.

In other hand the atmosphere is good , they are good , but I’m worried that I may be lagging behind my training.

I will listen to your advice and continue with the courses and projects

Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

Ah I see :slightly_smiling_face:

Your work must be good then!

From my experience some of the battle with development work is to Google things and learn as you go. I remember when studying Computer Science, just over ten years ago, a lot of the time we were given a task, not told how to do it and then just let loose on it so to speak! There are so many great resources out there today, that werent out there when I was doing my studies!

1 Like

If they invite you to work with them, they clearly see you as a good front end developer, keep learning in this industry we never stop learning but is fun, hope everything goes well

I’m in a similar situation daily – I’m the only front-end dev and there are a LOT of things I don’t know. What stack are you using? My suggestion - get on a really good forum for that particular technology and spend a lot of time interacting. The other advice I can give, is to just pursue solutions to your problems and don’t take “no” for an answer. It’s not extremely helpful, I know. There are times where I spent 2 - 3 days going over a problem, it was very painful and frustrating, but I eventually solved the issue. Many times the difference between succeeding and failing, for me, is just dumb persistence. This kind of process is really hard and discouraging at times, but after a couple of months it REALLY sharpens your skill. Once you get over the hump, you’ll be a battle-hardened pro.

Thank you guys for yours opinions, maybe i’ll continue to improve my skills with freecodecamp projects and i will try to stay positive .I know it will be difficult at first to get on our feet, but then good times will come :slight_smile:

I wish you all GOOD LUCK in new 2018