Difficulty level of the FCC PortoFolio Project

Hello,

I recently started the FCC journey through programming and passed the HTML/CSS/BootStrap/JQuery steps.
After completing the tribute project, I’m asked to make a PorteFolio, but the exemple shown seems way beyond my knowledges. It seems I’ll need JS, which I don’t know how to use yet.

Are we supposed to be able to know how to create such a project, or do we have to start it, continue the courses, and come back when we have more knowledge ?

If there are people who finished the portofolio at the end of the frond-end developper courses, let me know.

I really like learning to code, but projects can seem exciting and frightening at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Leo

At this point you do have enough knowledge to do the project, though you may not think you do: what you need to do is just plow into it. Dont be precious, just try and build things as fast as you can; when things inevitably break, fix them. The course can’t teach you everything, but the project will force you to use the knowledge you’ve gained, and will also force you to search for and ask regarding things you’re not 100% on.

If you continue into a career in development, or similar, you’ll find that the feeling you are experiencing now never goes away. You’ll always feel underprepared, feel like you’re missing chunks of knowledge. The projects are the best way you can learn: its when the course stops holding your hand and just dumps a big problem in front of you that you need to overcome. Fast forward, and this particular project will seem trivially easy, and the one you are attempting then will be the thing that seems insurmountable at first.

3 Likes

Indeed, seeing other people projects and reading from them here really helps.

Thanks Dan for your quick answer.

Everybody seems really helpfull here, and it pushes you forward.

Really encouraging :smile:

1 Like

I am with Dan here. Just do the best you can and try to put some new knowledge into new projects. You can always go back and make it better sometime in the future.

Also, if you jump to another advanced project without trying the basic ones, you might feel overwhelmed by the amount of things you’re not familiar with.

Just be patient and work through the curriculum while learning new concepts. I wouldn’t take the easy path, though; I mean, if you think some project is easy, make it harder by adding some new stuff so you can learn new things.

2 Likes