Do you think I'm ready?

Hi!
I follow here weekly and always read the stories of those who started from scratch and now found a remote or face-to-face job.
But I don’t know if I’m ready yet.

It’s been a long way since the beggining of the year when I started here in FCC, then I started at Treehouse, then some courses at Udemy.

I made some personal projects like: a website for my mother and her business with Wordpress. Then a project for myself with Php (CodeIgniter framework) and MySQL, and now I’m working on my next personal project, with VueJS (javascript framework) and Google Firebase (My next topic this week will be ‘Unit testing’).

Between those, I made a website for a coworker (a single-page website) with HTML and CSS (with the help of Sass pre-processor) from ‘zero’ (I started with a Wordpress template then I thought, why do I need all this, I’m going to make all the style by myself).

Am I ready to something more professional, like remote work?

Thank you! The community here is the best!

1 Like

It seems like you are making a great progress! People here like to see portfolio and make suggestions/recommendations in order to polish it up and be “job-ready”. If you have a personal site with your portfolio - it would be helpful to share. If not - you probably need to make one.

I am not sure if anybody can say for certain if you are job ready or not. What I would do is start having conversations with fellow developers in your area and really start networking. That way you can learn more about industry and what it takes to get a job. Some people have success with Upwork for small remote jobs that are not well paid but offer some experience.

3 Likes

Have you completed the front-end certificate here at FCC? Just completing that alone will provide you with plenty of portfolio work worthy of making a portfolio site for. You can host it at Github for free, with a custom domain pointing to it (meaning your out of pocket costs would be the domain name, ~$10-$15 per year).

While I haven’t landed a job yet, I have had a couple interviews and I feel a portfolio site is invaluable.

Adding the personal projects you’ve listed is a great step too.

Not knowing all the details of what you are describing, my only general tip would be to make sure all your projects are complete. If you are in the middle of working on a project, unless it’s really close to done, I don’t share that on my page because I don’t want people to think I can’t finish anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey bro good advice are you busy doing the front end track ? how far are you into it ?

On FCC I’ve completed the Front-End Certificate. I’m off exploring other things at the moment to see where I want to go.

I’ve kind of made up my mind to go with Angular, rather than React… so I am currently exploring all of the things that make up Angular, and namely I am getting comfortable with Webpack and ES6. I am re-making my portfolio site to be mostly front-end only.

If you check out my current home page, jimmyvanveen.com you’ll see a full-stack app. The backend is node, and it was fun learning how to make a functional blog, and a made a custom projects section.

I’m debating if I want to incorporate this backend into my new site, but since I think my ticket in the door to a job is front-end stuff, I think I’m just going to table it, and come back to it later once I get some years in my belt as a frontend dev.

I have a few irons in the fire so to speak :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed my link to my home page here has gotten some love. I remade my home page, and unlike what I said above, I learned React. I’ve been very happy with it, and that’s how I remade my home page. Feel free to check it out!

My old home page is still up and running at http://old.jimmyvanveen.com which you can use to see the site I was explaining here 7 months ago :slight_smile: