Does it "get easier" after Javascript?

This Javascript lesson has been a great challenge for me. In some cases even frustratingly difficult. Just wondering if the next lessons after Javascript (front end data development, data visualization, APIs and Microservices, and so on…) get any “easier” once you conquer the gargantuan hurdle [that is Javascript] to learn and understand (or at least your personal experience).

3 Likes

Well it depends. I would say yes, because of two things:

1. You can always choose to focus more on the front-end side of things. That means, that if you enjoy designing things you can focus on that, but…
  2. You will need JavaScript afterwards. This is both a ‘but’ to the first point, as well as another reason why it gets easier.
    When going to the next certifications you will basically be dealing with how to combine the first two, that is, how do you make something that is both functional and looks good.
    So JavaScript will be present in all of the certifications that are coming up, but here’s the thing: It gets easier with time. With time some of the more basic concepts you are grappling with at the moment will become, well, more basic and intuitive.

So to conclude: Frustration is a part of coding. The computer doesn’t understand what you mean, but you can always count on it to do exactly what you tell it to do.
You can also count on yourself getting more and more comfortable with what you are doing. You can also count on google helping you out if you are in a tough spot. And you can also count on this forum to give you a helping hand if everything else fails.
(and just to be fair, you can also count on upcoming frustrations)

So keep going! Trust me, it will become easier :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, with one exception - data visualization. D3.js is a very specific library. I would personally leave it to the end (or skip it altogether).

3 Likes

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I needed to hear. Never really understood what the term “front end developmennt” meant, but it seems it’s exactly what I’ve been wanting, a course on how I will actively utilize JS in conjunction with HTML and CSS to create something (because right now I’m just internalizing all this information about JS without having a clue how I’m going to use it which creates a barrier to having a thorough understanding of it, versus HTML and CSS where you are learning exactly how each thing you learn is used in design). Thanks.

2 Likes

Got t, thanks for letting me know that.

1 Like

Regarding this: I had a similar experience and actually stopped coding for a couple of months, due to the frustration of not understanding whatsoever how to create a chropleth map.
However, I regained all of that motivation after finding out about this YouTube channel that deals with all the FCC projects.

So I agree, that d3.js is very specific and perhaps not as crucial for the general process of building a full stack application. I would add to that an encouragement to still go for it, since it is of course useful if you use it :slight_smile: You never know, if perhaps data visualization with d3 could turn into a persons passion, by going through the challenges

4 Likes

it gets easier, yes, but not less frustrating, you will find other stuff to be frustrated about. Frustration is part of the gig

3 Likes

Honestly, it does get easier, way easier! Javascript is still pretty difficult for me, but I find that it’s actually helped me to be more analytical. I tinkered around a bit in Python before I became serious about learning Web Development. Coming back to python after what felt like brutal torture made me realize how much I actually did learn, even when I thought that I didnt :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes it gets easier, without a doubt. Honestly coding up real javascript apps is nowhere near as hard as that certificate.

I’ve completed 7 fcc certificates, some of which took me a few days. The JS one was a massive outlier and took me 6 months.

3 Likes

Partially.

Specifically once you learn the syntax of the language, you can start to dig into how to use it to do what you want. This doesn’t mean the code your write it perfect syntactically, so you will always have to review it, but you will get better at that and get better at writing the right kind of code, in terms of syntax.

What doesn’t get much easier, at least for a while, is being able to apply that syntax to a given problem. Its been said that a programming language is just a tool. Right now your learning the syntax, or just learning how to use the tool. However you aren’t yet digging into how to solve problems with said tool, beyond a few simpler problems.

Learning how to take a problem, and solve it with programming is the next hurdle that also is challenging, but different than just learning the syntax and the language.

Good luck, keep learning, keep building :+1:

5 Likes

Dude thank you for mentioning this man. For me the syntax is pretty legible for the most part although I usually have to double-take the more advanced “programs”, but actually putting into practice what I just learned or reviewed is extremely challenging. But I’m starting to take this more serious and do exercises even outside of the FCC courses, so I think that’ll help.

2 Likes

I would say that they do not. But perhaps things get a little more encouraging as you see things come together and start applying them on actual web apps.

I think it gets distorted because HTML and CSS are relatively easier. JS is a full fledged programming language and takes a while to “master”.

Just remember that this is hard stuff - that’s why it pays well. But you can get it if you keep at it. And take heart that most people feel exactly what you’re feeling.

I think JavaScript is easier than react, I’m currently stuck in the projects. I don’t mean to kill your enthusiasm but maybe it’s just me.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.