Does working in another field of development make moving into web dev easier?

Does working in another field of development make moving into web dev easier?
0.0 0

Currently, I work as a developer for a mid-sized company. I handle development and integration with our cloud ERP solution which uses a custom API in JavaScript for development. I have a degree in computer science and just recently earned the oracle certified associate for SQL. What I’d really love to do is move into web development, but getting my first job in development was not fun and I lucked into it.

If I teach myself web development, will I have to start the rat race over again when I move into jobs for web development, or will my current dev experience carry weight? The JavaScript is obviously directly relevant, but that’s it. I feel like the skills I’ve gained in areas such as user requirements gathering (since ERP systems are vital to the organization’s business processes), technical/user documentation, end-user support, a bit about project planning and testing, releasing something into production company wide without effecting day-to-day business processes/transactions and dealing with bugs that come up that could be a potential source of impact on the business would put me ahead in the game.

Anyone who has transitioned have any feedback?