Doubts about projects in general

Hey FCC campers,

I have some doubts regarding the projects on FCC, would like anyone’s feedback/advice if you have any idea.

1. Can we edit/update our projects for certification after submission (if we want to make them better)?

2. Does it matter if we improve them on FCC (or are they good enough if they just get passed by the system after doing “Run the Tests (Ctrl + Enter)”)?

3. Should we keep on improving them personally without updating on FCC (if we are able to update after submission)?

4. What improvements should we do over projects of “RWDC” for them to be considered as near “job ready”, for internships/junior positions as web developer.

5. Is it possible to get a job after completion of RWDC & learning/practicing its
    concepts very well?
    RWDC- Responsive Web Design Certification

Thank you for taking out your time to read this post. Have a good day.

If you want to do this, I suggest creating a version of your project for long-term updating using a tool like CodePen.

From freeCodeCamp’s perspective, it doesn’t matter.

If you want to. Continuing to work on something over time is good practice, but you shouldn’t feel like you have to keep working on these beginner projects.

Think of these more as practice projects or homework assignments. They’re really there to help you conceptualize the material.

The jobs that you can do with only HTML and CSS are extremely limited. I would suggest continuing further into the curriculum.

4 Likes

HI @TheTechSage !

I just wanted to touch on two questions you asked here

Your goal should be to build tons of projects during these early stages.
Build different types of projects so you can learn and grow.
Most of them will be small projects just for learning purposes which is completely fine.

When I was first learning, I built tons of small stuff just so I can build up my skill set and understand the concepts better. But these projects were never meant to be shown to potential employers. They were just for my learning and growth.

The projects you want to show to employers should take some time to build, should have some features you can talk about in the interview.
These projects should have some substance to them.

You want to learn JavaScript not just because it is an important component of web development but because it is also going to teach the fundamental of programming.

The Responsive web design course teaches HTML and CSS which are markup languages.

But you haven’t learned about the fundamentals of programming like data structures, conditions, loops, object oriented programming, functional programming, etc.

You need to learn those core skills to be a software developer.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

@ArielLeslie - Thank You for your valuable advice. I have already planned to learn JS & front-end libraries, but just wanted to get a job soon and continue learning them afterwards.

@jwilkins.oboe - Thanks Jessica for clarifying my doubts. The information you & @ArielLeslie shared is really helpful, so thank you very much both of you. :clinking_glasses:

Also, just one more thing guys, what are the chances of getting a job after completing both the curricula of RWDC and Javascript & Data Structure Algo?

And if the chances are good what kind of projects should be made to show potential employers?

I would suggest at the bare minimum the first 3 certifications.
And it wouldn’t hurt to go through the lessons of the backend cert to learn a little bit of server side logic.

But people who have gotten a job after freeCodeCamp, including myself, built our own projects outside of freeCodeCamp, participated in open source projects, got involved in the community and started building relationships with other developers.

The junior developer market is flooded with people who have learned the basic skills.
Your job is to stand out by building your own projects away from tutorials.

If an employer can see potential in your skills, then they will take a chance on you because that means you can be trained further on the job and mature as a developer.

Build something that took some time to build and has some substance to it.

Stay away from tutorials.
Lot of people make this mistake when showing projects to potential employers.
Tutorials work when you are first learning.
But when you are at the stage of trying to get a job, you need to build your own projects.

Build something that solves a problem and that you can talk about in the interview.

For example,
I was talking with a woman who is transitioning from higher ed into tech and she wanted to create a website that helped lower income families learn how to go to college the right way and not rack up tons of debt.

She was already coming with ideas for features and I told her that was the perfect project. There is so much you can do there and that is something she can talk about in the interview.

Think about issues that came up in your life where you thought there should be a fix for that.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

@jwilkins.oboe - Thanks a ton Jessica. This is what I needed. I’ll keep this post here so others who have similar doubts can get something out of it.
Have a great day.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.