Easy or Difficult Path to choose?

HI i am kinda new here and i wanted to share my experience. I learned Qbasic at my higher school and after school i started learning Python because i was told it is really easy and great language with Job opportunities and blah blah. But eventually Python didn’t suit me long because i wanted to do more dynamic things and get involved in web technologies and i was confused as hell. I felt like i have made a great mistake by learning from easy path ,should i have started with C/C++ i would have more strong programming backbone .After being lost and hopeless for about a year and watching counteless Programming advices in Youtube , I followed my heart and So i am here now learning JS and about to complete my JS Basics Certification. I do still belive that difficult path leads to higher destination. Does this principle applies to Computer Technology?

I’m not sure what you’re asking, but this is going to be difficult. Learning to program is difficult.

It’s difficult. Besides the .005% of people who are naturals at it, you might find some people saying programming is easy at a certain point. I think they misunderstand experience for difficulty. Many aspects of programming and computer science concepts are extremely daunting at first. Take the strides as you can get them, but also enjoy being stuck in the mud. You might have a background in it, so it will help you in web dev.

Learn JavaScript. Don’t stop learning Python. You can always try Flask or Django if you’re looking for more Python meets JavaScript projects.

This path is just like learning to play an instrument. People get frustrated if they can’t play after 1-2 years. It’s hard, man! It takes continual practice. Continual practice happens if you love to do it. So start with that: do you love to program? If yes, just keep going. If you start hating it, then change up your routine. Do creative HTML/CSS projects. If you get tired of that, try Python challenges. Tired of that, play around with JavaSCript. Just keep going…well, only if you love programming.

Oh yeah, take breaks from time to time. Too much of anything is not a good thing.

2 Likes

It is not because you use a modulo or Math panda that you know Python already.
You can do everything with Python on back-end.

Now I recommend you to choose only one language and go all-in. If you choose Java, C or other legacy languages, you chances to find a job would be low because you would compete with experienced people and fresh graduated.

About Python and JS, people who master it are people who love programming because they made the effort to learn it by themselves. So the competition is quite low.

If you want to learn JS and Python, start with a very basic stuff in flask to setup an API and focus more on React as it would be easier to find a job as front-end.

Cheers.

1 Like

@whatevea Welcome to the forums! Hope you find what your looking for :smiley:

The idea Python is “the easy path” and that you need to take the “harder path”, or a more difficult language so you have a “strong programming backbone” is wrong. The language is just the tool you use to program in, how you use the language is what programming is about, the language is just the interface. How far you go with a given language when starting out all depends on circumstances. Python is a great starting language because its easy to get going with, with its clear and simple syntax. The current most popular jobs that use Python are data science related, there are web development jobs that use the language, but the job popularity is dependent more on the businesses your looking at. Its possible you might only be looking at web jobs and see JavaScript being asked for, or other languages like Java, or C. There is no globally right or wrong answer, as it depends on your circumstances.

This really depends on what you mean by “difficult path”, as this could be applied to almost any scenario and be correct, it all depends on what “path” your talking about.

Generally I recommend people to learn programming in Python, and after a while look into the language that is most popular for what they want to do. So if your goal is to get a job in enterprise security, one of the “enterprise” languages like C# or Java is probably your best bet. This doesn’t mean you should learn these languages right out the gate, but you could. The reason why I believe Python is worth learning even though “its out of the way” is because its flexible, straight forward and the best “playground” to learn programming.

Just remember the basics are what your looking for when starting out, as odds are you have no clue as to what you really need to know to do what you want, or you might not even like what you think you like! Learn the core concepts using any language (or stick with Python), build fancier things, and move on from that language to learn more “relevant” technologies once you get the basics down.

1 Like