Employment Prospects For 50+ Year-Old Newbie?

Hi! I’m absolutely new, not only to FCC, but also to coding, period. I’m 54 years old with absolutely no coding or programming experience (I’m an accountant by trade). And I live in Los Angeles, which I have to guess is pretty competitive for tech. Can someone give me some opinions on how easy/difficult it might be for me to find employment as a developer once I finish the FCC full stack program, and what kind of salary someone my age and with my lack of experience could expect? Thanks in advance for all your help - I appreciate it!

3 Likes

Hey @romanstjames,

Take a look at the answers given to a similar post Here

No you are not too old…

@romanstjames I think it depends. I am a little bit younger than you, studying for more than a year (with already some code experience) and REALLY struggling to find a job.

After trying to find a job for a while I have made some conclusions about “successful factors” (those that bring you more opportunities…), some of them I haven’t met yet. I think everything comes up to:

• interpersonal skills - most of the “oldies” that I have seen finding jobs, usually around 30-40, are trying to create a good local network in the sector and being pro-active in finding clients; meetups are a usual source of contacts
  • selling yourself by doing a lot of different things; you must really show you are a doer - this is one of the things I have seen work the most: collaborating with content, contributing, helping others; FCC is a good place for that
  • specific job market conditions - not always favourable, check where you will sell more, remote options are also available although I think they pay less and competition could be vicious but sometimes is your best option to start
  • other skills - maybe combining your current skills with the new ones?
  • check where your real opportunities are - perhaps it would be enough for you to know the technical aspects so it would help to boost your current curriculum into a different direction within your present career or different kind of company, not bringing you necessarily into a totally new career path (probably it is not what you want when you are over 50, as you run the risk of being considered a junior developer)
  • start ups? there are few cases I have seen here, mostly of them by people who already have some coding experience; there is one that stand out the rest though: there was one guy who started a new business just after the training; the person already have experience as freelancer in a different sector (carpentry) so he at least knew about what is to set up a small business (RELEVANT)
  • Don’t be afraid - you will surprise how small knowledge in the area could help you to find a job in several situations; not all jobs require strong technical base and currently this sector is diversifying rapidly while becoming almost ubiquitous

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Thank you both! That was all very helpful!