ES6 Solutions to FCC Challenges

Hi all,

I originally posted this in the Project FeedBack Forum but decided that was the wrong place for it.

I’ve been going through the JS algorithm challenges and it’s been great! I’ve learned a lot and will definitely continue through the rest of the challenges. One of my favorite parts of each challenge is that there are multiple ways to solve them. These different approaches excite me and really opens up new possible coding approaches. The more I do these challenges, the more confident I get. I also love figuring out ways to turn the solutions into functional ES6 solutions.

Whilst doing this I’ve been thinking, wouldn’t it be great to have a group that talked specifically about the algorithms and interview questions and posted their own ES6 solutions to them. We could give constructive criticism and do code review for each other. I would enjoy a specific forum for just algorithm discussion and trying to encourage advanced functional ES6 + solutions. This wouldn’t take away from the project feedback forum, it would just make it more specialized. At least that’s how I see it.

The main reason I want to do this is to tackle the problem with the huge amount of solutions out there on the web without any centralization of the discussions. This makes it difficult to talk about the solutions with others, especially if the solutions on sites like stack overflow are years old. I’ve compared some of my own solutions to stack overflow and it’s really laborious and all very disconnected and a lot of the solutions are also outdated (pre-ES6) which leads to a lot of bad coding practices.

Eventually, my plan is to create a website where I show my ES6/functional programming solutions to coding challenges from the web. This will hopefully display my knowledge to potential future employers. Plus it’s just fun to do this kind of stuff.

But before then I want to know if anyone else would be interested in discussing ES6 and functional programming approaches. Let me know if you do :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for reading :slight_smile:
Greg

1 Like

We prefer not to post curriculum challenge solutions on the forum, so you would need to create something outside of the Free Code Camp forum to do this.

That’s fair enough. :slight_smile: I wouldn’t want to just post solutions so people can copy and paste them. Hence why I haven’t posted any of my solutions yet since I wasn’t sure of the policy on that.

I still think there is value in talking and reading other peoples code. I know that I find it helpful to look at snippets advanced code and use a debugger to see how it works.

What would be your advice on creating an external site with solutions to the FCC challenges? I don’t want to create something that just is just a copy and paste site for FCC. I’m mainly just looking for code review between peers.

Would slack be better? I’ve heard of data science groups that use Slack so that new people can discuss without fear of their discussions ending up on a google search. That way discussions can remain away from a searchable Forum.

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like