Express: API call to /login only works with no cookie present

I get back what I expect (a user object) but only on the first request after deleting a cookie.

Otherwise I get this:

error: operator does not exist: integer = text
    at Parser.parseErrorMessage (/home/owner/cp/voip_call_track_backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:278:15)
    at Parser.handlePacket (/home/owner/cp/voip_call_track_backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:126:29)
    at Parser.parse (/home/owner/cp/voip_call_track_backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/parser.js:39:38)
    at Socket.<anonymous> (/home/owner/cp/voip_call_track_backend/node_modules/pg-protocol/dist/index.js:8:42)
    at Socket.emit (events.js:315:20)
    at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:302:12)
    at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:278:9)
    at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:217:10)
    at TCP.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:186:23)

This makes me think the de/serialization steps are the issue.

The error seems to indicate an integer is being compared to text (or varchar). https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23622993/postgresql-error-operator-does-not-exist-integer-character-varying

But as you can see, I’m type casting the id (the only int column) to text during the deserial query :

// server.ts
passport.serializeUser((user: any, callback) => {
  callback(null, user.id);
});

passport.deserializeUser(async (userId, callback) => {
  const pgClient = new PgClient();
  try {
    pgClient.connect();
    const userRecord = (await pgClient.query('SELECT * FROM app_user WHERE id = $1::text', [userId])).rows[0];
    pgClient.end();
    callback(null, userRecord);
  } catch (error) {
    callback(error);
  }
});

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Here is the cookie itself. As noted if I delete it, the next request will return a successful response.

connect.sid=s%3AOpGFbWt6zvBnie33-Mmz2D6nwRNsEgHB.uWEp49W0DhvdUKVmslAoyA4Psk0aZjJNmskjhEbRUwE; Path=/; Domain=localhost; HttpOnly;

Solved in the deserialize method by casting the userId to text:

const userRecord = (await pgClient.query('SELECT * FROM app_user WHERE CAST(id as text) = $1::text', [userId.toString()])).rows[0];