Express Static Not Working

Hello! I recently started working through the Express tutorial and got snagged on the section where you setup the express.static middleware :sweat_smile:

Obviously I’m just missing something very simple and silly but I just don’t see it.

Here’s the section I’m stuck on: https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn/back-end-development-and-apis/basic-node-and-express/serve-static-assets

And here’s a repl with my code: https://boilerplate-express.danjfletcher.repl.co

I’ve tried so many things at this point and can’t get it to work. So to simplify I actually added a call to app.listen(3000, => console.log('listening!')) in my myApp.js file just to rule out any of the bootstrapping that the boilerplate project sets up.

Current Situation

So here is my folder structure since I know a lot of people get this part wrong but I’m certain I have this correct:

- public
-- style.css
- views
-- index.html
myApp.js
<other files>

All files are unmodified with the exception of myApp.js.

Here is what that file looks like:

const express = require('express');
const path = require('path')
const app = express();

app.use(express.static(path.join(__dirname, 'public')))

app.get('/', (req, res) => {
  res.sendFile(__dirname + '/views/index.html')
})

app.listen(3000, () => console.log('Listening!!'))

With this I get a 404 for /public/style.css

What else have I tried?

I tried copying what was done in the Express docs:

app.use(express.static('public')

I tried what the description on the project alludes to which is:

app.use(express.static(__dirname + '/public')

I tried what the express docs recommends (which is actually what I have currently)

I tried using various path arguments to the app.use() function:

// like this
app.use('public', ...)
// and like this
app.use('/', ...)
// and this
app.use('./' ...)

I also thought maybe there was some weird permissions issue in my local environment so I tried to chmod my project to 777 which also didn’t work.

I thought maybe there was something weird about my local setup because I work out of WSL2 so I tried deploying to Heroku and even just adding my code to the repl.it sandbox and both didn’t work.

Of course I’ve tried googling a ton and reading the documentation but all the related issues I find are not the problem I’m having. Usually when this isn’t working it’s because the path being used in express.static() is wrong or the static files aren’t in the right directory, or the location of the entry point (server.js or myApp.js in my case) isn’t at the same level as the public directory which mine is.

The only thing I’ve been able to figure out to be able to return that style.css file is to manaully add a route that returns it like so:

app.get('/public/style.css', (req, res) => {
  res.sendFile(__dirname + '/public/style.css')
})

Please help! I need an adult!

Which of course works, but not the solution I’m after!

2 Likes

If I remember this one correctly you have to have a path prefix. Check out the two last examples in the docs.

A middleware needs to be mounted using the method app.use(path, middlewareFunction) . The first path argument is optional. If you don’t pass it, the middleware will be executed for all requests.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

So I actually tried that too. As I understand it the path prefix is only if you’re not serving the files right from root. Or if you want the path to be modified.

So for example if your static files were in /public but you wanted the paths to be /static/public when accessing them via HTTP you’d use the prefix.

But I’m just serving the file from /public and I want the url to the file to be /public/style.css.

Can you post the code you tried?

The repl is the second link at the top of the original post.

Ohhh I think I figure it out! You’re right I think.

I don’t see the code with the path argument. I just see this.

BTW, when posting the link please make sure it is to the editor

Thank you! This was it. I was reading the description of the prefix wrong!

So I added specifically /public as my prefix and it worked.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Oh really? It should be there. I updated it to be /public instead of just public and it worked :slight_smile:

No worry, the description on the challenge page isn’t super clear if you ask me.

1 Like

Yeah but the docs are if you actually read carefully :wink:

I see the new code now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.