Fallback Variable

Tell us what’s happening:

There is no explanation of how to do this?

Your code so far

<style>
:root {
  --red-color: red;
}
.red-box {
  background: var(red, --red-color);
  background: var(--red-color);
  height: 200px;
  width:200px;
}
</style>
<div class="red-box"></div>

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:79.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/79.0.

Challenge: Improve Compatibility with Browser Fallbacks

Link to the challenge:

This means that if you do want to provide a browser fallback, it’s as easy as providing another more widely supported value immediately before your declaration

So if the browser doesn’t understand CSS variables, what would you use as a background colour instead of a variable?

I don’t understand what that means. It says to put the declaration in the root. So I wrote:
var(–penguin-belly: pink);
}

What else am I supposed to do? Nothing else is discussed in the lesson and this is really annoying when they just say the same thing over and over again but provide no information.

hey :wave:
This section u are at want to improve the compatibility with the browser,so you should add another background with the color of red.
e.g

style>
    --red-color: red;
  }
  .red-box {
background:red;
    background: var(--red-color);
    height: 200px;
    width:200px;
  }
</style>
<div class="red-box"></div>

It describes the solution: it does provide the information, you’re maybe overthinking it. It doesn’t provide an example, because the example would be the answer:

If a browser doesn’t understand CSS variables, if you say background-color: var(--a-variable);, the browser will ignore it.

So what could you write as a value for background-color that any browser would understand? This isn’t a trick question, it doesn’t use anything you haven’t been shown