Falsy Bouncer Retaining the same array

Falsy Bouncer Retaining the same array
0.0 0

Tell us what’s happening:
I know that the following code solves this challenge very effectively, however I was first experimenting another way and I wanted to discuss that way and get some feedback as I have not been able to make it work. Please see the second code snippet below for the code I am trying as well as the debugging code I wrote to wrap my mind around what’s happening.

Solution that works

function bouncer(arr) {
  // Don't show a false ID to this bouncer.
  var truthy = [];
  for (var i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    if (arr[i]) {
      truthy.push(arr[i]);
    }
  }
  return truthy;
}

bouncer([7, "ate", "", false, 9]);

What I tried -

function bouncer(arr) {
    if (!arr[i]) {
      arr.splice(i, 1);
    } 
  }
  return arr;
}

I figure out the above was not working due to the index being changed everytime I splice and hence the values of i skips elements. Figure this out by doing below -

function bouncer(arr) {
  var boolCollect = [];
    console.log("inspecting: ", arr[i]);
    if (!arr[i]) {
      boolCollect.push(true);
    } else { boolCollect.push(false); }
  }
  console.log(boolCollect);
  return arr;
}

My question is, instead of filtering out the truthy values and making a new array as I am doing in the solution in the very first code snippet, is there a way to eliminate the falsy values from the same array and return. I have been going through the array methods documentation and haven’t been able to put it together yet.

Your browser information:

Your Browser User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.170 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:

From my understanding filter does not change the existing array but creates a new array with the elements that pass the filter test. Which is essentially a shorter way of doing what I have already done. My aim was to avoid having any new arrays whatsoever and mutating the original.

But you can do someArray = someArray.filter(filterFunction).

needed a flick on forehead for missing the obvious there, can be solved in one line instead of the looping and conditioning.

function bouncer(arr) {
  arr = arr.filter(element => element);
  return arr;
}

Thanks-You @ArielLeslie!

Keep in mind, if your goal was to avoid creating a new array (even a temporary one), the following does not achieve that:

arr = arr.filter(element => element); // filter still returns a new array before the assignment takes place.  Once the assignment has taken place original array referenced by arr will be removed from memory.

If your aim was to avoid creating an additional variable to reference the filtered array, then the above code does accomplish that.

You are right! Accuracy with the language is important and what I was going for was not creating additional unnecessary variables. I understand what you mean when you say even in this case a new array is created and referenced to the same arr variable.