Feedback on "Create a Set of Radio Buttons"

Hi there

First of all thank you for creating FreeCodeCamp. It’s an amazing resource!

In the section “Create a Set of Radio Buttons”

It states

It is considered best practice to set a for attribute on the label element, with a value that matches the value of the id attribute of the input element.

As someone who just started the bootcamp I was unaware of how the attribute works and after going through Google I found the answer on Stack Overflow:

The problem here is it tells me “just do it because you should”. I believe you can add a reason, or point to an external source giving the reason, why it’s considered good practice.

Including this information is important for learners since the Responsive Web Design course talks about accessibility.

Thanks for all your hard work and I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gary

Welcome, there.

The reason is in the next sentence:

This allows assistive technologies to create a linked relationship between the label and the related input element.

For the most part, we try to avoid links away from challenges, and we try as much as possible to avoid external links. Reason being: The curriculum is never meant to be a developer’s sole source of information, but a very focused, get the basics down resource. As such, it is often better to avoid leading Campers down rabbit holes all the way to whatwg spec.

The READ-SEARCH-ASK methodology is specifically aimed at Campers who want to go the extra kilometer. Whereby, they have:

• Read the lesson
    • Encountered a new term/keyword
  • Can search the interweb for more information
  • Can ask the forum (or similar) to get a personal clarification

Hope this clarifies

With all of that in mind, what would you recommend be added/changed to this lesson?

3 Likes

Hi Sky020

Thank you for the welcome :slight_smile:

Yes I can see and understand how the READ-SEARCH-ASK methodology works here.

The following sentence is vague

This allows assistive technologies to create a linked relationship between the label and the related input element. For example:

When I first read the sentence I read “relationship” as a database term and thought it implied a database type relationship between the two elements. I initially felt puzzled by the term “assistive technologies” however Google was able to assist with this.

I would suggest changing the term “linked relationship”:

This allows assistive technologies to identify an association between the label and the related input element.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.