Feedback on my JS curriculum

Hi guys!
Since I’m self-teaching JS, the first and most important thing is to decide which study source to follow as a primary one and collect other resources which use different teaching methods in case I can’t understand something one way and I need to try a different approach. I try to keep the amount of resources pretty low to not loose direction and focus so my question is: do you see a resource that’s lacking and do you have a replacement suggestions OR is my plan fine.

I already learned enough HTML and CSS to move on to JS and I’m just trying to learn front-end in general. For now just focused on basics of JS and as I go, I’ll decide what exactly I want to learn on top of that. Right now it’s hard to tell, too little info to work with.

1. General roadmap and learning direction:
  1. Primary reading source I’d like to follow from start to finish:
  1. Video resources - I have no idea which would be best to follow as primary here:

Secondary video resources (they were recommended to me, no idea how good they are):

Any thoughts and suggestions? Sadly, I can’t really afford paid courses right now unless it’s something for less than 30$ a month. ^^"

Can’t really comment on the udemy/udacity courses but everything else looks good. You will likely have to hone in on more specific stuff at some point as needed. But for starters what you have now is more than enough.

1 Like

Howdy!

Well, first of all: what did you think when you made this roadmap?

I made one too, I decided to study vanilla JavaScript, Web Audio API, Progressive Web Apps, Electron, MERN Stack and React Native before the year ends.

I am seeing you are thinking more about getting the basics of frontend with free content (if your purpose isn’t this, then correct me and I’ll help you better) and that is really fine, just remember you can use even the FreeCodeCamp channel which is full of courses, even of JavaScript and even Khan Academy had something about it.

If I were you I would put HTML, CSS and the Web Design courses on the first piece of the roadmap, then learn a bit of JavaScript, do Eloquent JavaScript and JavaScript30 and Functional programming JavaScript to the last spot, since it’s a pretty intermediate field, it can be even advanced, but you can project even with the basics.

I would say to do a project about something you like, you can learn even that way and I am telling you that because I was pretty scared of Canvas (HTML5 element where you draw games and animations), but after making games for contests even if I didn’t knew anything I managed to do something anyway, you should do something like this too :slight_smile:

Have a good day!

1 Like

Oh, I should’ve specified some stuff, I’ll edit original post. But I already learned enough HTML and CSS to move on to JS and I’m just trying to learn frontend. For now just focused on basics of JS and as I go, I’ll decide what exactly I want to learn on top of that.

Hm, I didn’t like learning HTML/CSS with freeCodeCamp but that’s partially because I thought that it’s going to teach me all the theory in the process. I think with JS it will be even more important to exercise so I’m gonna try. But reading the book and understanding the theory still comes first for me.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.