Feedback on my personal website

Hello friends,

My personal portfolio page at travislannoye.com is nearly finished.

• I’m still working on the verbiage for the white “About Me” section. It’s basically the cover letter of the page, which is something I’ve been historically awful at writing.
  • The green footer section with the social icons needs one last idea that ties into the main theme of the page. I’ve been trying to brainstorm for a few days and haven’t come up with much. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

1 Like

That is a really cute hamburger button you made there.

There is some white space on top of your site. The welcome section’s top and left properties should be set to zero.

I hate to say this, but the huge circular images are extremely bothering. Please get rid of them.

For the contact section, you could make the icons glow against a dark background.
You could also “cook up” a cool animation of them all coming together when the user scrolls down to that section.

It all counts on your creativity.

Great job, by the ways. Keep up the great work.

I think there’s a caching problem with my site, because what you’re referring to is an older version of a couple files. Not sure what’s causing that, but a quick Ctrl + F5 resolves it. If anyone knows how to get that to stop happening, I’m listening.

Not working. :frowning:

Could you be more specific than just “not working”? What happens when you hit Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page? What browser/version are you using?

I’m using chrome as a web browser. I pressed cmd+f5, ctrl+f5, and alt+f5 as well. Nothing changed when I performed the action.

That’s not good…when I press Ctrl + F5 in my own Chrome browser, the page reloads everything properly and looks something like this:

I shrank the window size to make the picture smaller but you get the idea. Rather than a few obnoxious giant circles, there’s supposed to be a section with a tablecloth background and the apps are displayed on “place settings” on that table.

I’m not too familiar with the browser’s ability (or lack thereof) to load css files and whatnot properly. Anyone else know how to troubleshoot that?

How about you put the code in codepen and send me the link.

Here’s a Pen: https://codepen.io/tlannoye11/pen/RwNMqGY

Unfortunately, that pen loads everything correctly, so it doesn’t show the error. Hmm…

Wow. That’s much better than what I previously saw. Great work.

Now I just have to figure out why it doesn’t load properly the first time. Anyone else out there seen this before?

Update: cleaned up some of the loading issues, a few more still remain.

Biggest hurdle to calling it a “finished” product is what to do with the background of the footer section with the condiment bottles for social media icons (the big green box). Obviously can’t leave it like that, but nothing else comes to mind for what else to do with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I really like the portfolio overall and the cute food theme! However reading the text “A few fine apps that I’ve fried up in the past…” over the gingham background is not the most pleasant, maybe set the header above the picnic-table?