Feedback on my resume. Am I ready for a dev job?

Long time lurker and first time poster here.
I have been feeling down lately and all of my studies and hard works suddenly feel wasted. I have applied over 50 jobs and no interview. All I receive is a big NO simply because I have no experience in IT. I thought I was good enough for an entry level job because I could make an app from scratch with MERN stack and explain well my thought process. I even spent over a month studied AWS and certified with Solution Architect Associate.
Is it because something is wrong with my resume or should I write a cover letter for every job application?
Most of my peers and family are not in tech so they can’t give me a suggestion.
I know I should attend tech meetups and get my face out there, this will be my next step.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you.
Resume

First of all, blindly applying to jobs online is the least effective way of landing a job. You need to get out and network by meeting other developers and HR/recruiters. It’s not necessarily going to be a short process, so I’d recommend settling in and connecting with your local tech community.

Some points on your resume (and I’m going to assume you’re in the US, so correct me if I’m wrong):

• Try to avoid the split-column layout wherever possible; these don’t scan well by ATS (Applicant Tracking Systems) that are often used in large companies.

• Your GitHub, email, LinkedIn, and portfolio URLs all need to be spelled out, and your full phone # and email should also be shown. Icons are fine for visual indicators only, but don’t make the icons as links. The links should be on the text, which should be filled out. (I’m going to assume you edited these for display?)

• Your city & state should be specified on your resume if you’re going to say “I’m ready to relocate”.

• The statement needs to be more unique to you specifically. Don’t write something that someone else could easily write about themselves as well. This should be HIGHLY unique to you, and something that most people would not be able to write about themselves.

• You have a lot of skills listed; these should all be something that you know very well and could answer an interview question about if asked. If you wouldn’t be comfortable answering a random question about a particular item on your list, then delete it. And do you really know React and Vue.js equally well? If not, delete the one you don’t know well. Few companies are going to be using both React and Vue, and although the two do parallel each other somewhat, if you don’t know Vue’s ecosystem (i.e., Vuex, Vue Router, VuePress, Nuxt, Quasar, etc), I’d recommend not listing it.

• It’s fine to list AWS generically, but given how many services they offer, you can afford to be more specific on which ones you’ve used if you have the space.

• Your Projects section needs to be written higher-level. Discard the list of points that you have on each one, and just keep the one-sentence high-level summary for each of them. These project summaries need to be accessible and understandable to a recruiter or HR person; not another developer. Recruiters and HR don’t care about your technologies or how you implemented something, they’re only going to care what business problem your projects solve. Re-write all of your summaries with that in mind.

• If your “Recent Job” is an actual job you’ve held, you need to add the company name and geographic location (in city, state format). Otherwise the vagueness of it makes you look like you’re making that up, since there’s no info provided to back it up.

• Likewise for your Education, if you have a BS in Biochemistry, how come your college or university isn’t specified? It makes it look like you’re making that up as well, since your institution is missing (not to mention its location).

• What is “Front-End Web Development” supposed to mean under Education? Is that a school’s curriculum, or just your own self-teaching? If it’s your own self-teaching, you need to delete it. The only thing you should be listing under Education are accredited institutions that issue Associate degrees or higher, or a coding bootcamp if you went to one. Otherwise, anything else is irrelevant as education, unfortunately.

• No offense intended, but your “MTA” certificates on YourAcclaim.com don’t appear to be legitimate Microsoft certifications, as that website is not an official Microsoft source. Furthermore, Microsoft doesn’t even issue certifications on JavaScript, HTML, CSS, or Python either - no single organization will, for that matter. You need to be more careful about showing certifications on your resume, and ensure that you achieve certifications from legitimate sources, otherwise they become completely meaningless. All of Microsoft’s certifications are listed right on their own website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/certification-overview.aspx), and AWS certifications are listed on AWS’ own website as well (https://aws.amazon.com/certification/).

• Your resume should be 1 page, especially when you don’t have enough experience to justify 2 pages.

• Your “Book Store” full-stack app needs to be more user-friendly. It should be usable to anyone who’s used an e-commerce system like Amazon’s. Also you should NEVER provide login info on an e-commerce system. You’re asking to get hacked that way. Remove all login info from being displayed, and re-design the landing page so it’s user-friendly. Show some products that can be added to the cart, and allow the user to interact with the cart. Basically you should try to emulate Amazon’s system, because it’s one of the most widely-used systems in the world.

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your awesome input.
Yes, I am currently based in the US.
I removed some of details on my education because I did not want to reveal my location.
I did graduate from a local Community College and got most of my certifications from there.
Those acclaim badges are actually issued by Microsoft under MTA certification type:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/browse-all-certifications.aspx
But they are very basic and foundation so best not to include them as they take up spaces in the resume and does not matter much for web development.
I will redo my resume according to your suggestions.
Thank you, again.

@astv99 has great advice here that could apply to almost any resume.

I also noticed that two of the three project demo links in your resume didn’t work. I’d imagine many possible employers would click a broken link and immediately move on to the next candidate.

The demo link to the clothes store worked, but it looks like an incomplete project to me, because none of the links on the page do anything (contact, about us, etc.).

I would fix or remove the links, and also try to polish your project(s) a little to showcase not just that you know how to do things, but that you can do them in a professional way.

1 Like