Feedback on my Technical Documentation project

This is my last project for the Responsive Web Design certification - Woo!

https://codepen.io/wforbes/full/BaRaVjz

I spent most of the day adding the content (I’m sure there are still typos), getting the examples to work, and getting the FCC tests to pass … but I’d really like to spend more time having fun with improving the style and design. It’s a bit unresponsive and flat. I was hoping that some of you lovely people could give some input. Thanks!

Welcome back @wforbes. Your page looks good. Some things to revisit;

• Codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in the HTML editor. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML syntax/coding errors you should be aware of and address.
  • Do not use the <br> element to force line breaks or spacing. That’s what CSS is for.
  • In HTML5 there is a distinction between <strong> and <b>. (also between <em> and <i>. I know you’re not using these latter but you should familiarize yourself with all of them because the way you’re using <strong> is not correct)
  • Keep all your styling external. Do not use in-line styling
  • It would have been better if your nav went to the top on smaller screens rather than having the nav and content squished.
    • The user story requirement only calls for the navbar to be on the left for regular sized devices
  • When tabbing through the links in the navbar just have an outline. When the user continues tabbing (or scrolling) and reaches a section the breadcrumb following changes the look of the navbar. (It suddenly has a green background with white text) It would be a better UX if when tabbing through the focus also had the green background with white text.
    Hope that makes sense.
2 Likes

Great insight, thanks @Roma - I’ll work on those points this week. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.