Feedback on Personal Portfolio Site

Awesome work Ben!

Looks so much better than my portfolio. I hope you find work very soon.

@BeeMcGee Thanks for the feedback! I was going for something, er, casual? I donā€™t know - you might be right! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

@adela05 Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! All the best to you, as well.

Your site looks great. Definitely giving me ideas about my own portfolio. Two things I noticed:

1. The link to ā€œContactā€ on the about page is not working.

2. In the paragraph on the front page instead of saying ā€œReach out if youā€™re looking to hire or you need some work done.ā€, you could simply have a button that says ā€œHire Meā€. I think the brevity of that button may make a little difference and it shows that you respect the readerā€™s (potential employers) time. Just a thought.

Good luck on the job search and donā€™t get discouraged, THE job is out there.

@jeremyhoutz Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! Good catch on the link. Thanks for the tip on shortening up the contact blurb - makes sense!

Hi Ben, Your portfolio looks great to me! I have a few thoughts on the career language:

1. ā€œI got skills.ā€

I like the casual language myself. I guess thereā€™s a risk of someone (like a stodgy HR person) failing to ā€œget itā€ but thatā€™s a trade off you might want to make.

1. ā€œIā€™m a front-end web developer with an interest in responsive design and best practices in web development. I am always looking to challenge myself and expand my skill set.ā€

I think this language undersells you. You donā€™t just have an ā€œinterestā€ in responsive design etc. - you have MAD SKILLS (that language is probably going too far). I would cut the next sentence. I know you want to highlight your potential, but it sounds to me like your current skill set is inadequate. From what Iā€™ve seen, employers usually hire people to solve problems that theyā€™re having RIGHT NOW!. What if a company had a bunch of websites with no/bad responsive design but they were under pressure to convert them into modern responsive sites in 2 months? You could be a valuable member of that development team right now.

How about this: ā€œIā€™m a front-end web developer with advanced skills in responsive design.ā€ Then something like ā€œI have designed and built 10 fully responsive modern websites (link to samples). In the process, I have learned to apply best practices in responsive design with speed and rigor.ā€

1. Resume

As a fellow post-academic, I know this hurts, but I would take out the Work Experience section on Speech and Language Pathologist (change it to something like ā€œSelectedā€ or ā€œRelevantā€ Work Experience). This also doesnā€™t say ā€œthis guy is ready to solve our web app problem and to ship it by end end of the quarter.ā€

What to fill the space with? I like to read PAR statements (problem-action-result) like they teach in resume-writing courses (including Lynda.com, etc.). What was the problem? The client wanted a styled email to be sent in response to a web form. What action did you take? I researched the issue and found that the feature was not available as a plugin (or whatever). I chose PHP to build a custom form because x, y, z. What was the result? I built a custom PHP form that generated an email styled with CSS and sent it to the client. My feature was awesome because it did x - or something like that. (Take out the 3 questions for the actual resume).

1. How to differentiate yourself from others

What if the employer/client narrowed the search down to 10 resumes with roughly the same web development skills as yours? Why would they pick you for a short list to interview? I can think of one reason.

Where I work (I do instructional design and some web dev), we need people who can do multiple things. Itā€™s not easy to find people who are good designers and can also do front-end development. Your samples show strong design skills, and you have a PhotoShop cert, but I think you could pitch your resume (at least one version of it) more emphatically as a ā€œfront-end designer and developerā€ and target job ads along those lines. Youā€™d have to expand on your specific design skills. Did you design your logo yourself? Do you use Illustrator too? What are your top skills and achievements as a designer?

@shaxbeard Wow! Thank you for this detailed feedback.

1. Yeah, I think it works, too.

2. I admit that I tend to undersell myself, perhaps because Iā€™m self-taught and really have no idea how I measure up next to someone who actually works in the industry. I also have a fear of getting into a job and just totally floundering. I am definitely going to take your advice here - I guess I have to act like I belong. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

3. Yeah, I guess I was trying to signal that I am (and have been) a gainfully employed professional for
    a long time, which I think would help in a job search in general. But point taken - I wonder if thereā€™s a way to signal this without taking up too much space on the resume? Iā€™ve read a bit about PAR statements and Iā€™m definitely going to add those.

4. This is great advice - my greatest worry is, again, ā€œoversellingā€ - I donā€™t have any design training beyond self-teaching, and design feels like something I have much less confidence in - it feels less concrete and requires more creativity (and confidence, I think) than, say, HTML, CSS, or Javascript. Calling myself a ā€œdesignerā€ feels risky, or disingenuous, but I agree with what you are saying. My ultimate goal is to master both design and development, but I just donā€™t know if Iā€™m there yet.

Again, thanks for all of this feedback - you gave me some great high-level insights that are going to be invaluable in my job search.

As to point 3 about whether to leave or remove the Speech/Language Pathologist jobā€¦ I can see why it SHOULD be removed but Iā€™d lean more to the side of leaving it there- it shows that you did work from the time you graduated from your Masterā€™s to 2016- because people WILL ask you about that gap if you leave off the SLP job. I donā€™t see any harm in having it there IMHO. At least until you have another or two Web Dev/IT jobs under your belt. Iā€™m pretty sure I left my non-IT job on my resume when I first got into IT (Mainframe).

Is there a reason why words are bolded in the resume? Seemed a bit distracting to me at least.

its a very inspirational page, i one day hope to get to this level of awesomeness i wish you the best of luck with your job hunting :slight_smile:

@Ducky Thanks for the insight! I bolded the words to highlight the skills used in each project, but I see what youā€™re sayingā€¦

@biscuitmanz Thanks man! Anyone can do it - keep at it! I had to push my mind past what I was accustomed to. A couple of my favorite books on the subject of skill development and deep focus are So Good They Canā€™t Ignore You and Deep Work, both by Cal Newport.

Good luck to you, as well!

1 Like

I think it is so nice my friends. But just make some text center is better, just my point of view

Hi

It is nice portfolio.

I think you need som navigation btn back from you portfolio projects. When I click on your project how can I go back to your portfolio? Would be nice if you exlpain you rolle in website projects.

Regards
Bane

@lucky110209 Thank you for the feedback!

@banet Thanks for the feedback! I have considered adding a ā€˜project breakdownā€™ page for some projects. The user would click on ā€˜Goā€™ on the portfolio item icon and then be taken to a page that outlines the challenges/solutions in that project. Something like that?

And yes! - great idea about the back button for portfolio projects. I hadnā€™t even thought about that. Definitely going to add it. Thanks again.