Feeling a bit lost

@latoyale Thanks for the great info!

A question I do have for you: What types of “first gigs” should I generally be looking for? Making a simple page for someone? Helping fix a problem on their site? I’m just not sure how comfortable I’d be charging someone to do a complete project since it would be my first one… But with that mentality, I’ll never get started either. I do feel like I could throw together a basic website, and I do have the knowledge to even work with a DB but I’d rather stick to basic sites first. But like as far as deadlines go, say someone said they wanted me to make them a 7 page website in x amount of time with y images and z theme… At this point, I don’t know an exact time estimate for that since I don’t have the professional experience yet.

Any Tips on overcoming those things? Thanks again and unfortunately I am not in NY! It seems like most of the helpful people come from NY and I’m way over here in CA.

Hey,
If you have your portfolio completed I suggest marketing yourself as a junior developer to all the recruiters/temporary agencies in your area. They have the experience on how to market your skills to clients. If you want private clients, you can market yourself online. I used to advertise my skills as a junior developer on Craigslist. I also asked small business owners and churches if they needed sites. You can put your information on Dice, Upwork, CareerBuilder, Monster and Indeed. My husband and I flooded the internet with our resume when we first started out. Mike also started an online blog and starting tweeting alot about tech. After a while alot of people started following him including a few CTO’s and CEO’s. A few asked him if he was available and started offering jobs. ---- As far as estimates I figure its about 150 just for the domain name and the hosting. Then I would charge 200-300 above that. I would split the payment into thirds, a deposit up front, midway point and at the end. ----- Lastly start connecting with people on LinkedIn tech forums, and various technology forums like Site Point. Getting to know a few developers and being known in those circles is a great help because if you run into a technical problem your developer friends can help you out. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. You can also reach out to my husband if you need help. He’s an amazing developer :slight_smile: www.michaellegemah.com

2 Likes

@latoyale Thanks for all of that info! I bookmarked your husband’s site and blog. Looks great! I’m send him a message as well. I think my biggest fear is someone asking me to do something that I don’t know how to properly do yet on a website…

For example, someone wants me to make a site for them with a store. Well, I’m not experienced with that and likely would not be able to meet a deadline or do it right, and I wouldn’t want to do something wrong for someone. Other than that, I’m ready to go so I will definitely go to those freelance sites and start browsing what is needed and maybe I can find something simpler to start with. Thanks again!

Sorry for barging in, but do you have any experience in remote hiring? I live in a poor country so a minimum wage job from America would be pretty good here. Do you know how much harder it is to get hired through online interviews to work remotely? I think only senior devs get an offer to relocate and help with visa right?

My plan is to study for a few more months and then start freelance work, but I have no idea how i’d proceed after that.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks for this one, Hard work and Patience

Why not apply to some jobs, see what they ask, and then take the level of knowledge you need to pass their interviews, subtract that by what you know now, and work specifically on the gap between where you are and where you need to be…is that too simple a strategy?