Feeling a Little Discouraged Today

But what I am not getting is that if the demand for these jobs are so high why do so many people have such a time getting these jobs?

Yes, you keep repeating that over and over. Again, not all jobs are the same, not all jobs require the same skill sets and experience, and not all jobs are in the location of the applicant. If you’re a C and Java programmer with 3 months experience in Topeka, and they need a LAMP stack coder in Austin with 5 years experience who has worked with Matlab before, then you aren’t going to get that job. Ever. It doesn’t matter how many available women there are, it doesn’t mean that every guy is getting lucky tonight. You’ve got to find the opportunities, apply for the “job”, be persistent, and have a little luck.

You have a habit of quoting figures and pretending that they represent a heterogeneous mass with no other factors to consider.

3 Likes

I’m with you man. We all are. Let’s get it.

Regarding your design troubles, if you really just want to be a back-end guy, then why not just spend a bit of time coming up with a color scheme/general layout that works for you and just repeat that every time. Use Bootstrap to make formatting easy.

Ok so you are saying that the demand for these jobs are very dependent on where you live? And in some areas there is little demand.

I am not pretending they represent anything. I asked a question trying to find out the reality of the situation and I said I “READ” something. I did not say I believe it or others should believe it or said they represent a homogeneous mass with no other figures to consider.

I asked a question. I did not say I knew the absolute reality of this situation. Please do not put words in my mouth.

Remember FCC encourages using Bootstrap. This is because it can help you build a good looking responsive site quickly. As you become confident designing with Bootstrap you can then learn other CSS tricks. Nowadays there is cross browser support for flexbox and grid.
Aside from that, look for good colour schemes. There are plenty of sites which can recommend colours which compliment each other.

One guy here posted he got 2 job offers and finally found a job… after applying for 3 years, 700 jobs…
That’s a response rate 0.28%. That’s persistence and hard work.
So don’t give up.

Presumably he was improving during those 3 years by sticking to his dream.

I’m feeling a lot more encouraged and motivated today.

I made a lot of changes to my portfolio

https://mels065.github.io/portfolio/

3 Likes

Much better. I like it when the repo has a link to the demo too. Easiest way is to put this in the description but in the Readme file is best.

I’m in the pretty much the exact same position as you man. Execpt for the hit and run and the fact that I have a 3 year old daughter.
Love your attitude man, hope you get something soon!

I’m not doing projects as much as you, but you got me motivated to go for it more.

Do either you or @Reinoud-Zuyderhoff do any networking events? Sometimes headhunters are at those events trying to meet people to place in jobs.

Do you have a LinkedIn account?

Just some ideas.

Yeah, that’s a better look. Now just work on filling it up.

haven’t been to networking events, I want to be able to show them something awesome but I don’t have that yet.

I’ve been following study instructions from a potential imployer, so that has been occupying most of my time. Just following courses on JS, Angular, PHP, Python an C++. However he hasn’t replied my last 2 messages though, he’s a busy man so I hope we’re still on talking terms.

This has lead to me having knowledge of all these frameworks and languages, but not really knowing what to do when I have an empty folder.
So I want do projects more and be able to make my own stuff.

I do have a LinkedIn account it’s frequently visited by recruiters of whom I have never heard a word.

I decided to start using Trello to keep track of people’s suggestions for my portfolio. It honestly is helping to keep it from feeling too overwhelming.

i knew it. this thread and all that venting was staged.
you’re a Trello marketeer.
you almost got me

3 Likes

(Oh no…
Looks like they’re on to me…)

1 Like

Control your own pace is really important.
We all get discouraged along the way.

What I did was usually take a break, reset, and get back to it.
Don’t think about : “I am gonna change my life. How am I gonna change my life.”

Think about : " How am I gonna code a little bit more while I still finish all the other responsibilities in my life. Just a bit more, not too much that it can crush me, not too little that does not make a diff, and if a week later I found it too much, take a 2 days rest. treat yourself something good, a hot bath, a cold beverage."

I don’t want to sound like those “motivational speakers” cos I don’t really believe 1 moment of “excitement/enlightenment” will change your life. But just remember this:

it takes a lot of courage to treat yourself good while others told you not to.

We all get discouraged.
Reset, move on.

6 Likes

And let’s not turn this thread into one of those :
“who’s got it worse” contest.

Negative thoughts accumulate really fast when you are not paying attention.

Again: rest, reset and keep doing what you are doing.

4 Likes

Don’t let the that bother you. Just go. Go to meetups. Meet other coders. Get ideas. Get feedback. You can check the specific meetup, but there will be meetups for beginners.

I really should go to more of these networking events. Logistics tend to be hard for me due to not having a car, but I should plan something

Anyone have any advice on what sort of event to look for, and what my goals should be at the event?

1 Like

Yeah, logistics can be tough. I have a car, but the meetups all seem to be when I work - in the evenings. I found one during the day, so I’m doing that now. If you keep at it, you’ll find something that works.

What should your goals be? Meet some people. Make contacts. Learn a little something.Look at some other people’s code. Show others your code. Talk about coding with other people. Get inspired. Hear about potential jobs.