Feeling discouraged. I don't know what I'm doing wrong

HI @envincebal !

The job market right now for entry level junior developers is crazy competitive.
I am sure it was competitive before but I think the pandemic hurt a lot of industries and introduced a lot of people into the tech marketplace.

That was definitely my situation.
I was a professional musician pre pandemic, but the industry never recovered and so I made the change to software and now working as a junior developer.

Here is what worked for me :grinning:

From the very beginning I was super active on twitter, linkedin, tech meetups, discords, etc.
I spent months meeting new people, sharing projects, sharing my story and learning about opportunities.

Twitter is full of job posts, and connections.
I would suggest participating in twitter spaces, posting about your projects, and dm other developers you would like to connect with.
You would be surprised what job opportunities come up when you have a strong online presence and strong connections.

Also, make sure you have a strong linkedin profile.
Hiring managers and recruiters are super active on linkedin and if you do it right that could be a good avenue for job possibilities.
I would suggest watching Danny Thompson’s Linkedin series where he interviews recruiters and hiring managers to review profiles.

I personally used that series and did see a noticeable difference in people reaching out to me.

I would also highly suggest watching Leon’s video on landing a job.

He gives great practical advice on how to get your foot in the door and land interviews.
I have mad respect for leon because I did all of those things he talks about in the video and it works :grinning:

Those are just my opinions on what I found to work to land a job in this crazy competitive market :grinning:

Just a couple of thoughts on your resume :grinning:

I would rework your experience section when it comes to the Independent Coding section.

Right now it is coming across as you have been learning for a few years and built one site for a friend and 50 smaller projects.
You will need to sell it a little bit better.

I would focus on expanding what you did for your friends business site and how it increased their client base.
What kind of features does this site have to increase her business?

Also, if you have other projects that you built for other people, I would definitely highlight that.

As for your projects sections, I would work on the descriptions.
Right now it comes across as basic descriptions for class projects.
So, you want to be able to stand out more and sell it better.
I think when you watch leon’s video on resumes, he will give you some good ideas on how to spruce up your resume. :grinning:

I hope all of that helps and best of luck on the job search! :grinning:

6 Likes