Feeling Like I Cheated

Jeremy, your post is a great reminder to persevere in the face of coding adversity and eventually, with enough trial and error, you might create something halfway functional which can be improved later on.

@Smellbringer If it helps, I had to look at the answers a lot too.

What helped me was using the “look, say, cover, write, check” method you learn in first grade to spell haha!
So I would look through the answers, find the one that looked most straightforward, break it down, and then try to write it without looking. I would then go back a few days later, annoyed that I had cheated as well, and try and do it again from memory.

Since then I’ve become better at coding, and have learnt that it’s perfectly normal to google things (which is better than looking at the answers) - so if you’re stuck but kind of know how it should go, just write the steps.

For example:

• loop over each object
  • see if it has a specific property
  • only grab those that dont

and then think about what that might be in other words (i.e. I want to filter out ones that don’t have a specific property) and then try and find examples of people (MDN, stackoverflow) using filter, and apply it to your own code.

But keep coming back to it, and revisit the ones you feel like you’ve cheated on - it’s only going to help you later!

Hi again!

I think the main takeaway from this discussion is there is a big difference between googling and looking up documentation versus copying a specific answer from the FCC guide.

There were times where I went through the regex challenges where I was a little confused on what was going on. So I would sometimes look at the answer and it made sense. But then I felt bad afterwards like you did.

So I moved on through the rest of the curriculum and got to the projects and was lost for the telephone project. I forgot everything about regex. So I started the whole regex section over again and this time googled my way through and found some cool resources like regex101 which helped me out alot.

So my point is google is your friend and documentation is your friend.

Remember, the solutions in the guide are just one way to do things.
When you google, you find so many other ways to solve problems that aren’t even mentioned in the FCC guides and you learn something new.

So, I don’t think you cheated but @ArielLeslie said it perfectly that you might have cheated yourself out of a learning opportunity.

But the good news is that you have recognized the issue and know what to do now moving forward.

Happy coding!

3 Likes