Filter range "in place" explanation

This is the solution of exercise from another website I am using.

function filterRangeInPlace(arr, a, b) {

for (let i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    let val = arr[i];

// remove if outside of the interval
    if (val < a || val > b) {
      arr.splice(i, 1);
      i--;
    }
  }

}

let arr = [5, 3, 8, 1];

filterRangeInPlace(arr, 1, 4); 

alert( arr );

Why do we need ‘i–’ here? I see that it doesn’t work properly without it, but what is going on under the hood? Could someone explain please?

This is the task btw: Write a function filterRangeInPlace(arr, a, b) that gets an array arr and removes from it all values except those that are between a and b . The test is: a ≤ arr[i] ≤ b . The function should only modify the array. It should not return anything.

Hi @Ivan999. You need i-- because you are looping through the arr array at the same time mutating it (modifying it) . If for example i is equal to 1 when the if condition evaluates to true, you will remove the element at index 1. The element which should have been at index i + 1 which is index 2will be shifted to index i which is index 1 because of removing the element before it. But the problem is that the code inside the loop will be executed next when the value of i is 2 but the element which should have been in index 2 is now in index 1. So i-- will reduce i from 1 to 0 so that the i++ will take it back to 1 and executing the loop again for i = 1 to cater for the new element at index 1. If you don’t do i--, you are bound to skip executing the loop for the new element which has been shifted to index 1. i-- reduces the value of i by 1.

1 Like

The for loop runs as long as i < arr.length, but the splice method changes the length of the array, because it removes 1 item. If you wouldn’t decrease i by 1, the loop would run longer than it should. It would run into a situation where it tries to assign let val = arr[i], but there is no item in the array at that index anymore.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I think I understand now…

1 Like