Find Characters with Lazy Matching --- help

Tell us what’s happening:
Why is there an asterix in the code used in the explanation /t[a-z]*i/ ?

Doesn’t astrix mean that the immediate preceding condition is optional? In which case it should have matched and returned [“ti”] the first time without the need for a “?”.

Where lies my misunderstanding?

Your code so far

let text = "<h1>Winter is coming</h1>";
let myRegex = /<.*>/; // Change this line
let result = text.match(myRegex);

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/68.0.3440.106 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:
https://learn.freecodecamp.org/javascript-algorithms-and-data-structures/regular-expressions/find-characters-with-lazy-matching/

The astrix means zero or more. I do not see a ? used in your regular expression.

I’m talking about the explanation section, the titanic example.

Now I understand your question. Without the ? after the , the [a-z] will keep grabbing consecutive letters a-z until there are no more. So it will grab the “i”, “t”, “a”, “n” after the “t” because these are the “more” part of “zero or more”.

But if the regex is /t[a-z]*i/ and so in “titanic” the ‘t’ and ‘i’ are right next to each other, so then shouldn’t the regex be like, “matched ‘t’ now the optional [a-z] isn’t there and then there is ‘i’ so task complete”?

The *? does not make the [a-z] optional. It just makes it not greedy, so it stops after the first match of [a-z]*, which is the “i” after the “t” in “titanic”.

I’m so sorry I mistyped…I meant /t[a-z]*i/ which was my original question. I edited the earlier comment so you if you can please re-read my earlier reply and respond accordingly.