Finding ourselves nowhere near a job, even though we know some stuff

Hello guys and people here,

tl dr; I won’t start with a popular opinion probably, but I’ll be sincere hoping you won’t be too harsh. The post is about finding ourselves nowhere near a job, even though we know some stuff.

I didn’t ever thought about publishing here. Mostly because I like to do all things on my own, without any help or advice. I understand this is the wrong way.

Now I realize I’m stuck in my goal of finding a job, and I have little to no idea if the things I’ve been doing have any value for a junior web dev position. My main project is a blog where I’m using js, sass, git/github, python and bash; I know no React or things like that.

What would a way to convince an employer of my skills? And most importantly: is this enough? Am I too far?

I’ll take the chance to link a post I’ve written some weeks ago, where I was reflecting upon this same subject. It’d be probably good to hear any personal experience, or any critique, advice, or almost whatever comes to your mind. I’ll take the next few days to just find a North and be a bit better in managing my time.

Have a nice day.

Mostly because I like to do all things on my own, without any help or advice. I understand this is the wrong way.

Definitely. 100% the wrong way. Or more accurately, you need a mix. You’re “let me figure it out” attitude is also great. But Newton said, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.” Yes, you need to just figure some stuff on your own sometimes. but you also need to build on what others have done and use that as a head start. Newton is one of the greatest scientists of all time because he balanced both.

Now I realize I’m stuck in my goal of finding a job,

I know it’s hard, but I think your goal should be learning as much as possible and building lots of cool things. If you get good at that, it will be easier to get a job.

and I have little to no idea if the things I’ve been doing have any value for a junior web dev position.

They probably are.

My main project is a blog where I’m using js, sass, git/github, python and bash.

Cool. That sounds like a great start.

I know no React or things like that.

Then learn it or learn something similar. Having a modern front end, view library is a great skill to have.

What would a way to convince an employer of my skills? And most importantly: is this enough? Am I too far?

Some, maybe. But like I said, just keep building things and learning new skills. That impresses hirers.

I have a doc I once wrote about my advice of getting the first job.

This is hard work. It is hard to get that first job. But that is a good thing. If this were easy, everyone would do it and it would pay nothing. This is hard and it takes hard work. And those that stick with it and don’t give up and keep learning - they get rewarded with a cool job that pays good money.

2 Likes

@kevinSmith already provided a great answer.

My short answer:

1. Show your proof of work (= build stuff)
  2. Show people that you exist and connect to them (= talk about your journey, help people (here, dev.to, twitter etc.))
3 Likes