Firefox extension: Attempting to message content script throws an error

I have spent all day trying to figure this out and I seem to be getting nowhere, can someone share with me where I am going wrong?

I am trying to figure out how to correctly send a message, from a “background” script to a content script. I want to use onBeforeRequest() as the trigger event, so that when it happens a message is to sent to the content script to get some information from the pages DOM.

The DOM part is not present in this example, I am struggling to just establish a working messaging pattern.

manifest file:

{
	"name": "shell",
	"manifest_version": 2,
	"version": "1.0",

"background": {"scripts": ["background.js"]},
	"content_scripts": [
		{
		  "matches": ["<all_urls>"],
		  "js": ["content.js"]
		}
	  ],
	"permissions": ["tabs","activeTab", "webRequest", "<all_urls>"]
}

background.js file:

activeTab = browser.tabs.query({currentWindow: true,active: true,})

function sendMessageToTabs(activeTab) {
	for (const tab of activeTab) {
	  browser.tabs.sendMessage(activeTab.id, { greeting: "Hi from background script" })
		 .then((response) => {
			console.log("Message from the content script:");
			console.log(response.response);
		 })
		 .catch(onError);
	}
 }
browser.webRequest.onBeforeRequest.addListener(sendMessageToTabs, {urls:["https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle"]});

Content.js file:

"use strict";

browser.runtime.onMessage.addListener((request) => {
  console.log("Message from the background script:");
  console.log(request.greeting);
  return Promise.resolve({ response: "Hi from content script" });
});

How to trigger the event

Once I load the extension, I can trigger the on onBeforeRequest() by visiting the “Car - Wikipedia” page of Wikipedia and clicking on the Vehicle part, right under the article profile picture, as shown HERE.

The problem I am having

Is that when the event triggers I get an error in the DevTools console:

TypeError: activeTab is not iterable

I tried a number of ways to solve this issue but it just persists. Any help or pointers would be amazing. Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.