Focused study group to read You don't know JS books

I suppose you just don’t know how to download them from http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ I have downloaded all of them from there. you can watch a video on youtube to see how you can download from the website.

NICE didnt know about this resource

Is it ok if i skip hackerrank? I have done the basic javascript on FCC

Very nice just read your update :slight_smile:

We should all join this study group room… currently empty
UPDATED:::

and setup a jsbookclub channel … share books… and discuss the material!!

I didn’t take any training. I self learned most of the things. I was lucky to get job in a Startup early. There I learned most of the stuff. Saying this I still see there are a number of things I need to improve and be better and learn a lot new things.

Cool! Join http://appear.in/ydkjs at that time.

I’m in Eastern US Time Zone, what IST time is the study group? I am currently watching Kyle’s Front End Masters course on Pluralsight while following along with the YDNJS book. Would be interested in supplementing the video course with focused reading of the book.

Best time for me would be 6am to 8am eastern Us time which I think is 330pm - 530pm IST.

I didn’t take any training. I self learned most of the things. I was lucky to get job in a Startup early. There I learned most of the stuff. Saying this I still see there are a number of things I need to improve and be better and learn a lot new things.

So, you mean you went in as a frontend developer and learnt all that’s needed for full stack?? That sounds amazing. I wish I could get into a company like that.

Actually I started as a Backend Developer with little knowledge of Frontend. After that I learned Frontend Development :slight_smile:

aha! so you already knew the backend part of fullstack.
frontend seems so much easier then.
so, which stack is it?? node and mongodb?? or php mysql??

I started with PHP & MySql and transitioned to Node.js and MongoDB for the backend.

wow! sent you a pm naqui as I dont want to hijack this thread with my questions.
would love some advice from you.

Hello, naquiuddin

The idea sounds interesting, but I’m afraid my attention span won’t let me concentrate on reading for 2 hours straight. At the same time, I’m working on my pet projects daily, but not in 2 hour intervals, more like “all the time between breaks” :smiley:

At the same time, this set of books “you don’t know javascript” seems like an interesting read, so I just wanted to say “Thanks” for sharing!

Thanks!

Good luck with focus group! Idea is certainly interesting!

Best regards,
Yuri

I am sooo interested, I’m in Nigeria atm . On a time zone of GMT+1 . Pls let me know if it can work out

As a beginner programmer, I can attest to your suggestion of Head FIrst JavaScript Programming. Such a great book to conceptualize the language and build a foundation you can have confidence in. Wish I found it sooner.

Here is a time zone map for all of your regions. Let me know if I am missing anybody’s region.

Based on this time zone mapping, I think the best time currently is 7:30pm(19:30pm) to 9:30pm(21:30) Indian Standard Time.

However I don’t want to leave anybody. I will do multiple sessions.

1. 07:30am - 11:30am (4 hours)
  2. 12:00pm - 02:00pm (2 hours)
  3. 03:30pm - 05:30pm (2 hours)
  4. 07:30pm - 09:30pm (2 hours)

The link to join the focused session is https://appear.in/focusedgtd

Just reminding that you don’t have to read YDKJS. You can do anything you want. You just have to follow the rules. Whether you are building something, doing exercises on FCC or studying books, whatever it may be you have to do it like this.

For every half an hour you spend 25 minutes for focused work/study + take a 5 minute break. You sync your work/study with http://teamodoro.com. So far the previous session went good.

There is reason why this technique works.

[Check this article for people who want to study less and retain more] (http://lifehacker.com/study-less-study-smart-the-best-ways-to-retain-more-1683362205).
Check this article for people who want to be more productive at work

After checking the two links above, if you are convinced and want to try out, then just join here. Compare the time with that of your time zone.

We can start this right from Monday :slight_smile:

Let me know if you are ready.

Hey @Yuri-Predborskiy.

I have the same problem of not being able to focus in a stretch for a long time. Exactly for this reason we are working in 25 minute sessions. In 2 hours we do 4 sessions, taking 5 minute break between each :slight_smile:

Also check the two articles of my previous post :wink:

Sounds like an incredibly awesome project! Learning in groups is the most amazing thing that can ever happen! Good luck with it :slight_smile:
Would definitely join, however, neither my camera nor microphone functions with my current laptop, ehh!

hey no one is at the chatroom is that the correct link?

Such an amazing idea, wish I could join but currently that’s almost impossible. Anyways I’ll keep an eye on this and maybe join future projects like this.