For loop breaks too early

Tell us what’s happening:
Describe your issue in detail here.

can someone tell me why my forloop breaks at the first if test that returns true?

**Your code so far**

function findLongestWordLength(str) {
let newstr =str.split(' ');
let word=newstr[0].length;
console.log(newstr.length)

for (let i = 0; i < newstr.length; i++){
if (newstr[i].length>word)
  word=newstr[i];
  console.log(word)

}
return word;
}

findLongestWordLength("The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog");
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/92.0.4515.131 Safari/537.36

Challenge: Find the Longest Word in a String

Link to the challenge:

What are you setting word to, when the it clause is met? Not asking what you intend it to be set to… What are you setting it to?

i actually got it to pass when i changed it to the length of the word in the array. but im just curious why is it when i set word to the word at the index of i , the for loop stops there?

Not so much that it stops, but comparing a number to an alphabetic string will have unexpected results.

First time through word gets set to “The”. Next time through, you’re comparing 5 (the length of “quick”) to "The". The comparison coerces 7 to "7" (number to string), and compares “7” to “The”.

Alphabetically, “The” is greater.

oh got it. now i see on the next iteration since word got modiefied to a string instead of a number. the next iteration compared a number to a string, which is not good. that explains why when i did this :

word=newstr[i].length;

it made things ok. because its back to comparing a number to a number again.
which is ok because all it wanted was to return the length not the string connected to it

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.