Forgot to comment my code. Why does this work?

Here are the instructions:

We’ll be rebuilding the native .join array method. The join function should work as follows:

// If the input is empty, return an empty string
join([]) // ''

// If there is no separator, separate by commas
join([ 'a', 'b', 'c' ]) // 'a,b,c'

// If there is a separator, separate by that string
join([ 'a', 'b', 'c' ], '-') // 'a-b-c'

// If there is only one item, return just that item
join([ 'a' ], '---') // 'a'

I’m just a bit confused on this line:

if (separator && array[i] !== array[array.length-1])

Here is my code:

function join (array, separator) {
    let str = '';
    for (let i = 0; i < array.length; i++) {
      str += array[i];
      if (separator && array[i] !== array[array.length-1]) {
        str += separator;
      } else if (array[i] !== array[array.length-1]) {
        str += ',';
      }
    }
    return str;
  }

Roughly in English, that means, “if there is a separator, and the ith element in the array is not the last element, do the following…”

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Some other options for this challenge would be:

function join(array, separator = ',') {
  let str = '';
  let len = array.length;
  for (let i = 0; i < array.length; i++) {
	str += array[i] + separator;
	len++;
  }
  return str.slice(0, len - 1);
}

OR using a regular expression

const reg = new RegExp(',', 'g');
  return ('' + array).replace(reg, separator);
}
1 Like

You are insane at this. Truly. I can only hope at some point I get that good.

Also, if you find time, could you comment that regular expression using RegExp? I’m trying to learn Regex as it seems to be the best way to solve a lot of things that I tend to complicate.

new RegExp(',', 'g');

is the equilavent of:

const reg = /,/g;

I should have used the second version (know as literal notation) instead of the first version (known as a constructor), because a constructor was not really needed.

The more common version is the literal (the 2nd). Basically, it means find all instances of the comma character. The g means all instances. If left off, it would only find the first instance of a comma.

Rewriting the regular expression version of the function using literal notation would look like:

const reg = /,/g;
  return ('' + array).replace(reg, separator);
}

But since the regular expression is short, I could simply put it directly into the replace function.

return ('' + array).replace(/,/g , separator);
}

and if using arrow function syntax and const declaration, this function becomes a one-liner.

const join = (array, separator = ',') => ('' + array).replace(/,/g , separator);

Something I did not explain before was why I wrote '' + array. In Javascript, I can coerce another datatype to a string by concatenating it with a string. I used a blank string '' and concatenated it with array. When you concatenate a string to an array it turns it into a string of the elements separated by commas (no spaces). That is why I was able my regular expression looked for commas and then I used the replace method to replace the commas with whatever separator was passed into the function. If no separator was passed into the function, I gave the separator a default value of comma, which is denoted in the function declaration shown below:
join(array, separator = ',') {
1 Like