Free Code Camp is a nonprofit now?

After I asked this question Quincy had sent me a message stating: “We are a registered nonprofit but we’re still waiting for the IRS to grant us tax-exempt status.”

That is the latest I have heard and that was in the beginning of December.

I am certainly not an expert in any of this, but I have heard it can take up to a year for everything to be reviewed and decided.

After re-reading some of this post I have a strong feeling that, as soon as 501©(3) is granted/finalized, there will be a decent amount of attention brought to that fact. It is likely the difference in a decent amount of donations.

1 Like

That’s correct. We’re still waiting for the tax-exempt status from the IRS.

@ArielLeslie @kevinSmith @p1xt @IsaacAbrahamson @RandellDawson I want you all to be the first to know that freeCodeCamp is now a 501©(3) public charity!

We just received the letter from the IRS yesterday.

I’ll be making a formal announcement shortly. It will be a while before we show up in all the nonprofit directories, but we’ve kicked off the process.

8 Likes

Cool. The letter is the most important thing.

Having worked with fundraising for non-profits one thing I always like to see is an “accountability” page on their web site. Some nonprofits post a copy of their letter and recent 990s, financial reports, audits, and reports. It’s an increasing trend and it is a great way to sow public trust. It also makes it very easy to answer questions and to reassure potential donors. It’s up to you, but I would suggest something like it.

3 Likes

Yay!
Congratulations!

1 Like

Thats fantastic news!

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea! We plan to publish a 990, and could put a copy of our determination letter there, too.

3 Likes