From Learning to Leading: My Journey to Senior Full Stack Web Developer with Top Tech Certifications

From Learning to Leading: My Journey to Senior Full Stack Web Developer with Top Tech Certifications

Introduction

Hello, I’m Sergey. Today, I stand as a Senior Full Stack Web Developer, bolstered by years of experience and numerous certifications from top tech companies like Microsoft, AWS, IBM, and Meta.

In this article, I aim to share my journey, hoping to guide and inspire those aspiring to enter the IT field. I’ll recount my story, including both mistakes and triumphs, and offer insights on becoming a successful developer and securing a job in this field, even without a university degree or prior experience.

Early Days

My fascination with computers ignited at 15, sparked by the movie ‘Hackers’ (1995). Initially drawn to the idea of hacking, I soon realized that real hacking required mastering programming languages and networking protocols. This revelation marked the beginning of my coding journey.

Starting out was daunting. The overload of new information overwhelmed my young mind, making it difficult to find a starting point in the vast landscape of technology.

Growth and Learning

As time passed, I found myself working as a waiter, far removed from IT. Dissatisfied with my life and career, I reached a turning point at 23. Determined to change my trajectory, I resolved to become a developer.

The emergence of FreeCodeCamp and other online learning resources was a game-changer. These platforms provided a structured curriculum, allowing me to learn at my own pace. I devoted my post-work hours to coding, thrilled to be pursuing my passion.

I briefly enrolled in university but left after a year, disillusioned by the education quality. Self-learning proved more efficient and tailored to the skills I needed for employment.

First Job

After a year of dedicated learning, I landed my first job as a Junior Web Developer. My inaugural task was challenging: integrating AWS into a Laravel application. With limited knowledge of AWS and Laravel, the task seemed daunting, but I persevered and succeeded.

A word of encouragement: A developer’s role is to problem-solve and continually learn. You won’t know everything or solve every problem instantly. The key is constant improvement—refactoring code and enhancing your skills day by day.

Certifications

My journey began with a certification from FreeCodeCamp, a pivotal milestone in my career. This achievement my first certification filled me with pride and confidence.

In IT, learning never stops. The field is ever-evolving, necessitating a commitment to learning new frameworks and technologies to remain relevant and effective.

Conclusion

If you’re dissatisfied with your current job, investing a year or two in learning to code is far better than spending a lifetime in discontent. It’s never too late to change your path and pursue a career in development. The key is to start learning and persistently chase your goals.

I am immensely thankful to Quincy Larson for creating FreeCodeCamp and to the FreeCodeCamp community for their mutual support and encouragement.

I wish you the best on your journey to becoming a developer and hope my story serves as a beacon, guiding you towards your aspirations.

7 Likes

How you find your first job?

1 Like

I’ve just sent an email to companies I found online.
As of today LinkedIn is a good resource to find a job.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your coding journey so far. It’s inspiring to hear how you self-taught using online resources, earned certifications, and ultimately launched your career as a developer.

2 Likes

Thank you for Sharing.

1 Like