Full Stack React & Firebase Tutorial - Build a social media app

I am doing Hidjou’s tutorial on youtube and I’m stuck. At about 5:06:40 I get a message stating that all these variable are not used in terminal and then I get a message on my site: “Error: Objects are not valid as a React child (found: object with keys {_seconds, _nanoseconds}). If you meant to render a collection of children, use an array instead.” How do I fix this so I can see details of my screams?

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

While we are primarily here to help people with their Free Code Camp progress, we are open to people on other paths, too. Some of what you are asking is pretty trivial in the Free Code Camp context, so you might find that if you’re not getting the instruction and material you need in your current studies, the FCC curriculum will really help you get started. At a modest guess I’d say investing a 4-5 hours working through the curriculum here will really pay off. You can find the curriculum at https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn.

With your current questions, we don’t have enough context to know what you already know or don’t know, so it is impossible to guide you without just telling you the answer (which we won’t do).

It is pretty typical on here for people to share a codepen / repl.it / jsfiddle example of what they have tried so that anyone helping has more of an idea of what help is actually helpful.

Please provide some example of what you’ve tried and I’m sure you’ll get more help.

Happy coding :slight_smile:

Without seeing your code we can’t really help.

Usually, that error message means you are trying to render an object and are not using the properties. I’m guessing you have an array of objects and you are mapping over the array and using the properties of each object on some element (as content or as a prop).

So screams is an array of something, likely objects but I can’t tell, and each scream (object) is passed as a prop to the Scream component. This means inside the Scream component you have to use the properties of the scream object. Check and make sure you are using the props correctly inside the Scream component.

Thank for your responses! So this is my jsfiddle example. I think the issue is in mapping line 85 that givesd me the “Objects are not valid as a React child” error. The scream constant could be the issue in Scream.js, but I’m not sure how to write it correctly so I wont get that error: https://jsfiddle.net/cvizena/8r3vpkdz/3/