Fullstack Development or Particular technology Development

Hi
I have finished my degree and need to enter software Jobs. Since my degree is not relevant to IT but I like to work in software. My confusion is learning particular language is better or learning fullstack (which covers all languages) is better for getting a Job

My confusion is learning particular language is better or learning fullstack (which covers all languages) is better for getting a Job

I definitely would not suggest learning “one language”. I wouldn’t do that unless you had something very specific in mind, some specialized field and you knew how to get there.

And just to be clear, fullstack does not mean “all languages”. It involves front end and back end. Front end always involves HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (and derivatives of those). Backend can be one of several languages, including Node, which is JavaScript. If we consider that JavaScript is the only “real” programming language on the front end, and you can also use it on the backend, you can do fullstack with one language. (Coincidentally, FCC teaches a version of this, MERN. You can see the “Visit the Curriculum” button in the upper left.)

I think web dev is the easiest way to break in without a CS degree. I think front end is easier to break in than back end, but it’s still very, very good to get some basic back end.

3 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion @kevinSmith

1 Like

As Kevin said, if there is a particular field you want to get into then you can focus on the relevant skills. If you don’t have a specific technology goal (or if your goal is related to web at all), then I suggest following a full stack web dev path. The core language will be JavaScript, which I think is the most accessible for a new coder learning on their own. You’ll also learn the surrounding technologies to make a running web application.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.