Future of Coding

Hi everyone,

I am wondering how programming jobs are looking in the future. How will the industry change and will the demand for programmers still be high? What are the skills needed?

Looking forward to your thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

The number of jobs that require programming knowledge is expected to increase.

3 Likes

Yeah, the outlook seems pretty good. 22% over 10-years is a pretty aggressive growth rate, especially for an industry that is already struggling to find enough qualified people.

4 Likes

Thanks for your replies :blush: I think so too but I also think that the job will change depending on new coding tools and techniques….

What effect do low and no-code platforms have on this development? Will they replace low level coders or just make their lives easier?

Yeah, people keep predicting the end of human coders. They’ve been wrong so far. My opinion is that what happens is that people get better developing tools but then the expectations of what code should do expands. These platforms can meet the low level needs but there will always be a need to human intervention on some level for most projects. There may be a point where humans aren’t needed, but I think we’re a ways away from that.

3 Likes

Low-code and no-code tools change the type of work that developers do. You don’t need to be a programmer to create a simple small-business website these days, and yet the need for skilled web developers is extremely high. In my experience, the longer someone has been a professional programmer, the less worried they are about whether they’ll still have job opportunities for the rest of their professional lives.

There is a lot of growth in this industry, but growth and stability are fairly antithetical.

idk I’m no coder but this guy>> What nobody is talking about in the SOFTWARE ENGINEERING World - YouTube is one who says its going to decline only highly valued coders will be left bcuz of AI and Saas ( he speaks in hindi and is a computer science major )

People have been predicting that code writing code will replace humans writing code in the next “5-10 years” for decades… I wouldn’t hold my breath.

1 Like

yeah cuz of AI and saas right??

I have no idea where Software as a Service comes into it, but contrary to what science fiction loves to imagine Artificial Intelligence is not part of a spontaneous evolutionary process. People write software, including AI (such as it currently exists) and SaaS.

Sure, we can imagine a day where all work currently done by humans is done by computers. It’s an interesting thought experiment. The best candidates for automation are jobs that are dangerous and repetitive. Considering that we still have human beings getting hit by cars while fixing potholes, I don’t think that we need to worry about the process of writing automation software being automated in a near enough future that we need to plan our careers around it.

4 Likes

adding to sci-fi merging with computers with BCI is better than not joining the singularity…

We are quite a long ways off from computers taking over the world. Again, I won’t hold my breath or design my career around the assumption that we will soon have robot overlords or AI doing all of my work.

1 Like

“AI” is somewhat misleading as it assume its “intelligent”. Except, AI isn’t really that intelligent at all, it’s still just a machine that uses statistical methods to determine the best outcome, as such it’s only practical in some cases that rely on pattern recognition.

This has been true for a few decades, as the same methods current AI works on are more or less the same as they were decades ago. The biggest difference is in the computing power behind it and the data its trained on. In those regards AI can get really good at pattern recognition, making it a very useful tool. But the leap from pattern recognition to “intelligence” is unbelievably wide. Since we aren’t even sure what intelligence even is, we also aren’t sure what it will take to build such a thing that is that intelligent.

This is why Google/Alexa/Siri might understand what your saying, but reply with nonsensical unhelpful answers. It recognizes your voice, but has no concept of what your actually saying, and just makes a guess on what you mean.

Now in regards to pattern recognition use-cases, AI has gotten much stronger due to newer technologies using the same tried and true methods (deep learning). This could have an impact on specific use-cases, ranging from driving, basic human interaction thru speech, finding patterns in large chunks of data, and even more “professional” use-cases like helping doctors determine certain diseases from scans.

However, only very specific cases does AI actually do enough to “take jobs”. Most of the time, AI can act as a tool the human wields to help. Software developers are not one of those jobs, for a number of reasons.

Probably the single most important reason why being a developer is probably safe from any “AI takeover” of their work is simply because humans have little clue what they actually want. This is why new things are created, its because what exists isn’t “good enough” or “hip enough” or “cool enough”. An AI has no concept of any of that, as it has no intuition, imagination. As such it requires another human to understand the problem, and imagine a solution. That won’t change anytime soon, with or without AI.

2 Likes

I don’t see the need for humans writing code going away anytime soon. More like the opposite. I do hope programming will become higher level (less about pushing bits), and skills like good organization, documentation, and communication will become more important.

Looking at past predictions, we should by now have ended all war, hunger, diseases, have clean renewable energy, robots doing manual labor freeing people to live more fulfilling lives, oh and let’s not forget about the flying cars.

AI seems like a poor construct for catering to human needs. We are more likely to get optimized out of the equation than properly accounted for. Why cure the host when you can just remove it.

On the other hand, some believe we might have succeeded long ago and are now living in a constructed reality. Your perception of reality is after all just electrical impulses…cue cool music and epic bullet-time sequence.

2 Likes

i’m still new to coding, but based on different articles i’ve read the future of coding seems more than promising. since technology is becoming more and more prominent in today’s society, i’d imagine the demand for coders/programmers will increase. for the what skills are needed question, it depends on what specific job you’re looking to pursue, but i know that a lot of places are willing to hire self-taught programmers even if they don’t have degrees. basically, if you can show that you’re knowledgeable and have a good understanding of what you’re doing and everything that’s definitely beneficial. i’ve heard that computer science degrees can be helpful to get a foot in the door for a variety of programming-related jobs, but that doesn’t mean they’re required. anyways, i hope this reply made sense and helped answer your question somewhat :))

Hello there.

A lot was said before, AI, Low-code, machines taking over, … well my opinion about it is.

What did we say to death?
Not today.

All we have today about Artificial “Intelligence” making code is interesting and a promise for a faraway future that we not will be live to see it.

Why? Because despite the researchers achieve some cool results the cost to implement is too high or prohibitive. Only bigger companies that have money and will to invest will play with this technology.

Low-code platforms are evolving and poping everyware. For me they don’t pass of CMS with steroyds. The question for me is who use these platforms are developers or they are software users?

I not judging anyone, but any person can with training and time can explorer all possibilities and secrets and do awesome things with a software.

The recorent problem is when the client whant some thing that the platform don’t have. And for this you will need a developer, but before that you will have a other kind of problem, some platforms will allow you to do some customizations and others not.

So what about the future of coding?

Is hard to say, only thing what I can say is developers will be needed.

For half a century or nearly so people have been predicting that there will soon be no need for programmers. However I also know that programmers are not as much in demand as they were, not because there is less need for programming but because the number of people competing for jobs has increased. There was a time when big companies would only hire people in developed countries but due to the internet and other technologies there are millions of very intelligent people in the world that now are much more available to employers.

A skill that is more in demand is analysis and design. Employers will pay more for someone that can do the analysis and design. Even if the programming can be done by the computer there will always be a need for someone that understands how to talk with the computer to get something that does what needs to be done.

I have seen no evidence that this is true. I would be curious to see what statistics you base this opinion off of.

Were you looking for a programmer job 40 years ago? I was.

An appeal to authority is a terrible way to back up your claim that programmers are in less demand now. Please justify your claim.